Best month to fish the James River?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Ed1, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Me and a friend of mine are planning a trip to the james after first of the year . What is the best month to go. I was thinking march would be but would like some input from the guys that fish the james regularly.

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    personally I dont believe in a bad month to catch cats. However i think they bite best from november-april. good luck

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I think July and November are the best months. However, it appears at least on the James it really does not matter what time of the year, except for maybe during the spawn.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like late March and early April. There's a nice daytime bite for big catfish. I don't like night time running in boats on the river or bugs in the summer. Its almost impossible to catch blue cats during the spawn which is from late May through June. The saltwater Striped Bass, two types of shad, and herring are all spawning and fun to catch in the Spring. The stripers eat the same bait as the catfish and we catch them up to 30 pounds.

I'm lucky I live in Richmond so I can fish whenever I have time or the mood hits me. The better guides catch them like crazy all year except during the spawn but all will tell you cold water fishing is the best. I usually don't go during Nov, Dec, or Jan because I am hunting or catching Stripers in the Bay and Ocean.

Big thing is to pay attention to the weather forecast. The James gets real big waves during high wind over 20 MPH. My boat is a 16 foot Jonboat and I don't go when its windy.

5. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    thanks Guys just trying to plan a trip and the best time to take off work and go.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    From what I have heard, the guides that chase the big boys catch thier biggest during the colder months.

Wheelmobile07

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Any time between now and April.

8. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

The last three state records have been caught just after spawn which is somewherabouts july. Something to think about there. Most of my biggest fish have all been caught in july and august.

9. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    Pretty weird but the best fishing I've seen is in the dead of the winter.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Even on the upper James the fishing is good in the winter. That's when the Muskies, Walleye, and trout bite real good. I was fishing in March a few years ago and caught two nice Rainbow Trout on chicken liver!

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I hope the fishing is good on the New because that is where Im heading tommorrow. Anyone got any info on what the conditions are like up there right now?

Wheelmobile07