Best Method for fishing heavy cover

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chad69dart, Jul 16, 2009.

1. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think that most agree that to catch the big boy you have to target his home. that being heavy cover , log jams and what not.

After going through the threads and trying to do my homework i have managed to ID the home territory's of some decent holes and have been picking up some decent fish.

The only problem Im having is snags and lost gear.

So from this infinite pool of knowledge. How do you guys beat the snags and hangups?

Im looking at maybe floating in with a big bobber or something of the sort. Am i on the right line?? If i run a big bobber with a line stop whats the best method and how deep should I be fishing?

if there is a good thread covering this please point me in the right direction..

Thanks guys .

Chad

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, im not in a boat but, i dont think you can avoid snags, ,dont use braid, and use a carolina wit a small gill or cut of a gill, also, try were the curent aint to heavy, if you see a big would pile with some moderet curent, try their but you will loose alot of tackle,just how it goes, some say a float but i dought that would work as well

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use a big float like you get from Wild Wolf Products and float a bullhead or green sunfish in over the cover. I try to get the depth to where the bait is just over the cover. When he hits you have to get his head up before he gets back in the cover.
    If I fish on the bottom I want my bait right in front of the cover or right behind the cover so it will be in front of the fish when he comes out.

That's the way I do it others will have ways that will work as good.

4. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for the input slik. Tried Carolina rigs , 3 way rigs and just about most bottom tactics i can think of. There has got to be abetter way.

Welder mentioned to me about a coke bottle bobber and I think he was on the right line. Hopeing he will chime in.

This is my take on it and just wanting some input from guys who may have tried and pefected this method.

Was going to try and build me a few of the coke bottle slip bobbers and float them in over heavy cover in fairly low current. Random depths from 8' to 15 or 20'. Live bream 0/8 to 10/0 hook. just not sure how to set it up. What kid of weight and where to put it. Do i want to set up with a 1oz slip weight, leader and bead and swivel like a carolina rig or just maybe enough split shot to keep the bream fairly low on the line. I could always do a 3 way rig with the weight on the bottom and the bait free ranging a 18' leader on a swivel.

I know these tactics are not going to eliminate snags completely. that's part of the game but it gets old trying to break off 25 or 50 pound line every other cast and them hooks aint cheap.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the input DD that's kinda what Im thinking.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    When I fish heavy cover I use a no roll sinker,no leader ,no swivel. Let the sinker slide down to the knot. With a rig like this I hook the bait low behind the anal fin. This makes the bait swim upwards. If you hook the gill at the dorsal fin he will just lay over because he is pinned down tight to the sinker. Cast at the very edge of the snag/structure. when retrieving your bait hold your rodtip up and reel fast. This helps but you will still snag up some.

6. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You need to go into stealth mode. Creep up to the cover and anchor or tie up directly above and and fish straight up and down right over the side of the boat.

This works best with only you in the boat and don't move around a lot. Big mama is only 10 ft below the boat:wink:

When your bait gets hit doing this, you will know it......BANG!:big_smile:

7. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks guys I will try both. I know big momma is there I just cant figure out how to get to her and get her out.

been checking the library anyone got a link for the coke bottle slip bobber?? Found the slip bobber stop knot that helps alot.

Good info int he library.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    heres a quiz for ya... pretend your on a boat-- At the bottom of the pic is a 17' hole for the most part of an 1/8 mile stretch down river (river flows from the left to right of the pic) The water's relatively calm here. Just above the snags, at the head of the hole- is a shallow 2-3' shallow riff and above that a straight run (good smallmouth and channels at the riff btw)
    curious see how you would position the boat to fish this area.

This is one of my honey holes from last year and this year. I knock down nice flatties here and never get skunked or lose tackle.
    I added a broader veiw of the same area

Attached Files:

9. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Exactly what I would say! baitfish don't need a leader to struggle against the weight. The only thing that I do differently is run the hook through the bottom jaw and out the nostril an dthat's only when the water is runnin' pretty good.

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    That's one nice lookin' snag you've got there! I would probably anchor upstream of the hole and fish directly in the snag and at the head and core of the hole. I fish during the day though, at night I would probably put a bait or two on the flat and up near the riffle. :wink:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Same area... down river a bit, taken smack dab in the middle of the hole.
    And pic #2 is what it behind the boat (thats an outside bend)

Attached Files:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the reoson i said no float is due to the fact , i never tried them, and dont see how it would get you out of snags, but theeses guys are no bs and they fish logjams, i dont, i hit dams and flats lakes,dont own a boat, but wen i get one, ill be ready, at night they tend to move outside them some, theese are big males in the jams, i get all females, seems the males are set on their thrown,and thats a logjam, any other fish best not be by that dominate male, goodluck pulling em out,ive read many post saying no leader no braid, thats all i can say,you might read last months infishermen on that,they had some good tactics for that,thats were i read a 4 page artical on logjam fishing, in the day

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Personally I fish my sinker against my knot with a bead... I've never used a float in my life.

14. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thats pretty much what Im looking at except its 40ft of water and a retaining wall used to keep logs and trash out of a fresh water intake for a power plant.

The log jam Im fishing has more submerged trash than showing above water so short of drifting in and mapping with a depth finder your fishing blind.

For me I would fish yours the same way I intend to fish this one. Anchor up stream and float in various depths from 8 to as low as i can get it with out a tangle.

Since you already have worked yours out what was your solution?? I have taken a couple of decent flatties and blues from 10 to 15 ponds from mine but i lost just about a many rigs as fish i caught. Guess im just not as good as you.:sad2:

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've hooked live bait up with the hook through them below the spine, behind the dorsal, and a few small pinch weights, and let them kind of freeswim near structure..
    If you give'm enough line, they will get too deep into the structure and snag you up..
    The flats know the bait is there, and if they want it, they'll take it,,
    I don't have any ideas for letting the bait get into the logjam, or deep nasty structure, and then getting it back out..fish on or not..
    I've tried the straight down drop another poster mentioned, and that's been about as effective, and,,, Exciting, as any...
    This kind of fishing also cured me of using braid,,,,

16. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks Greg. ive thought of doing something similar as thats how we fish for spanish and kings here. just free spooling live bait. Im going to try the straight drop method for sure just IDing the exact spot might be a trick but I have a few ideas.

Im just looking at the floating in method as this seems the most practical way to cover the area.

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    during the daytime I would fish the front of the cover and let ur bait float back into it or swim out in front of it. at night fish the back slack water side of the cover. as far as losing rigs and getting snagged that's apart of fishin cover bro. if you're in rocks I would go with a sacrificial three way rig, fishin cover I'd go with either a carolina rig or slip sinker rig.

18. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here's my advice

-I use a leader, but short only 3-6", the sinker against the knot is probably just as good but use a bead to protect the knot

-carry an extra rod with just a sinker heavy enough to drag bottom, and fan cast the area you plan to fish. Drag the sinker along and make sure the bottom between you and the snag is clean enough to get a fish back to your boat. This can be done ahead of time so you don't spook fish.

-use heavy tackle aggressively. I use big Penn's with 50lb and heavy rods. I like the Berkley E-cat #4 or equivalent. Get close and anchor/fish quietly. I also have a special "handheld bankpole" for extreme conditions. 10ft Ugly Stick Bigwater Heavy action with a big old Penn, 140lb trotline cord and the drag tightened with a pliers. Haven't nailed a monster on that one, but 15lb cats are like catching bait.

-you will still get snagged if you are fishing the right places, it's just part of the game. Slip rigs etc help but you sometimes still have to put the bait on the fish. You can cheat in another way to place your bait up high and in the cover. Use a light rubber band to hang your bait from a branch of the logjam, preferably on a current break, then back the boat up while freespooling, anchor and wait. Cast your other rods to nearby areas where you think active flats may be feeding outside or on the edge of the cover. Use a big active bait on the rod in the cover to make a big racket and bring fish up to eat it.

Part of the fun of fishing logjams is the challenge of getting the big ones out, you won't get them all no matter what, but plan ahead on how to land one and stack the odds in your favor. Good luck!

19. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great advice Heath!! i will definitely apply some of these tactics.

I like the idea of feeling out the area with a heavy weight to find the submerged snags hadn't thought of that but makes a hell of a lot of since.

most of my rigs are probably not heavy enough. I have 1 big penn with 50LB line the others are smaller spinning rigs with 25 and 20 lb set ups.

This is my plan as as I see it. Im going to set up one Carolina with a small leader out front of the jam. Try and drop in one 3 way rig with a break away weight and try and get it into the edge and then float one in with a big thrasher . Will drop 1 or 2 lighter rigs on the outside with cut bait and see what happens.

So yall tell me what yall think. This is a perfect day time hole. The set up is a steep drop off of a clay bank. Drops down to 40" deep leass than 100 ft from the bank. The retaining wall is set up to keep trash from a fresh water intake for power plant. Seem like the big ones are laid up around the heavy jam around the wall. I have hung a couple of good ones right off the wall but havent been able to get the out with out them tying me up. Not alot of current during low water but Im sure it will pick up as we have had some pretty heavy rain.

i will see if i can remember to take my digital camera and post a pic.

Finished modifying the boat today. Adding new rod holders and setting up a few lights. Still in the process of setting up my rig for cat fishing. Will have to head down to the flea market and see if i can come up with a few Big Penns that someone is getting rid of cheap. Before long I will have made the transition from pan fishing to all out cat fishing.

Thanks for the help again guys.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  20. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a new Penn 309 for $59. Pretty affordable to winch those hawgs in.