Best lures for white bass ?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by kyron4, Mar 15, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When fishing a river during "the run" what's the best lures for white bass ? Do you prefer 1/8 oz or 1/4oz jig heads ? 2" or 3" twister tails ? Are Road Runners better than regular jig heads ? Rattle traps ? -Thanks

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Mike, we use mostly shad raps, racket shad, and rattle traps. White or silver.
    But I have watched people next to me use every thing from doll fly to rooster tail any size and any color. When there running and in a frinzie they will hit anything.
    It may be different in your aera, but thats what works for us. Hope this helps.

Flint.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    River conditions differ a lot geographicaly. We catch a lot of WB on twister jigs (white, chartreuse), but my favorite is a pair of 1/16 oz white or yellow marabou jigs with the chenille body wrap. 4-lb line on a lite spinning rig. Fathead minnows work well too, but will slow you down during the run. You have to find them hitting in a school on a run, but when you do it's amazing. My son was out on the GMR one day last spring and called me at work, to say he had C&Rd over 400 WB in one afternoon. Said he actually got tired of reeling then in.

Let us know how you do.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I catch them on rooster tails, kastmasters, curly tail rubber jigs, but hands down, the all time favorite seems to be the old 1/4 or 1/8 oz. "cheapo" silver spoon! I've caught more "Sandies" on that than anything else!

5. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When it comes to lure size is smaller better or is larger better ? As for rattle traps I have 2" and 2 1/2" ; or diveing minnows 2" or 3" ; or jigs 2" 1/8 head or 3" 1/4 head ? Most White Bass in the area are 10"-14"
    :crazy: -Thanks guys

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Try a "topwater" like a Fred Arbogast JitterBug. Bass go nutz for those! Or a 3/8OZ. jighead and a curlytail grub (White). JMO

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with Flint. Especially Rattle Traps.:lol:

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I catch them on small bucktails, rooster tails and shad raps.

9. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught my best White Bass on a #5 Shad rap (Shad color) and when they are making their "run", I also use a white RoadRunner with a white twisty tail grub. I normally use baits that resemble baitfish, and that always works for me around that time of year. You may also catch some hybrids, stripers, and crappie also when using those baits.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Out here on California, at lake Nacimiento I troll with a jointed shad rap and when the fish are located and on top, I use rooster tails or white jigs when they are boiling on the surface.

bayrunner ray

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like 1/4 oz Rattle Traps, Roostertails, and 1/16 ounce white curly tail jigs. Often I will tie 2 lures on my line 2-3' apart. During the run, doubles are very common.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't target whites, but I do catch a few while going for hybrids.

Usually catch them on either a Zara Spook or Zara Super Spook (saltwater version). Colors are either pearl or red/white.

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've tried to figure out how not to catch white bass on some of the lakes I fish......they don't get to big here. They're more bait raiders than sought after fish. Do they get big anywhere? I imagine if they had a little more stature I'd go after them.

Richard

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL