best lure for trollin for bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by kyledbarnes, Dec 28, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what would ya'll say is your best/ favorite lure for trollin for bass

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Kyle, it would really depend on how deep the bass are.

A Rapala Shad Rap would be a good all around lure to troll with.

In the summer when the bass are really deep a Norman DD series lure with a bigger lip would get down deeper.

Keep in mind that line size is a factor. The lighter your line, the deeper you go.

Also, the amount of line you have out and your trolling speed also factor in.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Perhaps i've missed the best way to bass fish? I never have trolled for them. I think i can feel the hit better if i cast, reel and let the bite determine when to set the hook or perhaps just turn and reel. I dunno,if i were to try trolling i would likely get some big shiners and go live bait.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. The shad rap would be my first choice.

5. UpperBearFishin

UpperBearFishin New Member

State:
    Alabama

I like #5 or #6 bombers....We have been catching the fire out of the smallmouth in the last 3 months trolling on Pickwick...

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i usually don't troll for bass, for bass i usually beat he banks fishing shorelines throwin crankbaits or some type of creature or wacky worm rig, i usually troll for stripers, pike, or musky then its big divers (when i'm not hittin the river for catty's)

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I don't troll for bass but I've caught many large ones trolling for Muskies:eek:oooh: and the baits are always Rapalas, the bigger the better, the last one was almost 7 this summer with my kids on Pomme and the lure was 7" long and the fish killed herself cuz she swallowed the bait:sad2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And here I thought trolling for bass was a lost art. I grew up in the 50s trolling for bass. We'd cast the shoreline till about an hour after dawn, then switch to trolling. Of course, crankbaits hadn't been developed then; our trolling plugs sank if you simply dropped them in the water. Another very good lure we used for deeper trolling was the spoonplug, which is a metal spoon designed by Buck Perry, who caught the world's record largemouth bass. For those who aren't expert trollers, here are some tips. Use mono, because when you hang up, its stretch can keep the line from snapping. When you troll across a shallow spot and your lure starts hitting bottom, raise your rod tip so that the lure just hits occasionally (if possible). If you're not having success with steady trolling, try pulling your rod tip a couple of feet forward, then quickly drop it back, causing the lure to momentarily hesitate, then dart forward again. And probably most important, carry a good 'plugknocker' (lure retreiver) to get your expensive lure loose when it hangs up. This is simply a weight on a heavy line; the weight attaches to your fishing line so that it easily slides up and down. You hold the fishing line kind of tight, let the weight down to the lure, then bounce the weight up and down to dislodge the lure. It takes a little coordination between bouncing the weight and slacking off some on the tension on the fishing line, but it's not hard to learn. I've never failed to get a lure back with my 'plugknocker', although I once ruined a Rapala before I got it back. For anyone who wants to make their own, you'll need a 10"-12" length of water pipe, a 24" (or so) length of heavy, stiff, springy rod. Mine was made with a metal welding rod. You'll also need melted lead, heavy cord, and something to wind the cord up on. Measure back about 2" from one end and bend the rod back into a 'U' shape. Hold the rod against the pipe so that the free end of the 'U' is inside the pipe, with enough of the 'U' sticking out past the end of the pipe to tie your cord onto. Measure about 1" past the other end of the pipe and make a mark on the rod with a marker or piece of tape. Move the rod so that the mark is at the middle of the pipe, and clamp it to the pipe; put the clamp right next to the mark on the same side of the mark as the 'U'. Bend the other half of the rod around the pipe, forming a spring shape. Remove the clamp and slide the rod inside the pipe so that just enough of the 'U' is sticking out to let you attach the heavy cord. Use some method to plug the spring end of the pipe. You can stick it down in loose dry sand, wrap scrap cord around the rod till the pipe is plugged. Fill the pipe with melted lead & let cool. Attach the heavy cord & measure off how much cord you want; enough to reach the bottom wherever you will be fishing. Wrap the cord around your piece of wood, put the whole thing in a bag or box, and you're ready to go. Be sure to wrap your cord around something that floats, so that if you drop it overboard, you can easily retrieve it.

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    The shad rap, as Paul stated would be my choice. It has worked for stripers and peacock bass for me.

10. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Usually a Jointed Shad Rap works the best but I keep a Bomber and a Hot-n-Tot handy.
    Never know when you will get a walleye or catfish also.

11. UpperBearFishin

UpperBearFishin New Member

State:
    Alabama

I've also had good luck with the jointed shad rap... I had almost forgotten about the Hot n tots!! I'm gonna have to pull them out next time we go...

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i may add to what Mr. Jerry said i make pocket rocks. Take a 3 oz. bank sinker and put a BIG snap swivel on it. When you hang up one of those 15 dolla lucky crafts you can hold the line snug and hook the swivel around your line and let it drop. 99% of the time it will knock it loose. I carry a hound dawg on an extension pole but seldom pick it up since i discovered pocket rocks. Had a 6 fish limit today at 24 pounds off of Tablerock lake using lucky craft jerk baits and wiggle warts.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A few pic's from today in the rambling thread under general conversation.