Best low cost fish finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by chad69dart, Jul 18, 2009.

1. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey guys.

just looking for some opinions on Low cost fish finder /sonar. I have a cheap eagle unit on my boat that it came with. I'm not satisfied with ability to plot structure and it tends to show trash as fish. Other than that the depthgs seems about right and temps are close based on checking it with other guys units.

the waters down here tend to be on the muddy side and it seem to interfere with the transponders readings.

Im looking to upgrade but my pockets are not as deep as most and I cant justify to my loving wife spending $700 or $800 on a unit. i don't care if it has a lot of bells and whistles. Im looking for a good bare bones unit that will give good reliable responses, plot structure well, water temp and not lie about fish.

Budget is $200 to $400 and i may take a beating over that.

thanks guys.

Chad

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I recently purchased a Garmin 160C to replace my Eagle111 and it fulfills my needs plus it's upgradable to GPS and other functions with software. $200 or less dependent on dealer and it's color screen. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

3. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    the HB 725 i think is what i bought and put on my dads boat!! I did my homework and for the money it had the best combination of power/resolution only thing it wasnt color but its a dang good and powerful unit for around 200 check it on ebayu!!!

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  5. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well....at least you know what you're in for...:smile2:

6. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Guys

Thanks for input.

Went down to the Bass Pro shop and looked at several Lowrance, Garmin and HB units. Some of those bad boys require a degree in rocket science just to operate.

I looked at HD5 Low cost version " If you call over $500 low cost". Had to get the heck out of there before all those bells and whistles got me in trouble. My wife is gonna have a cow but I guess thats a beating I will just have to take Mark as Im still mesmerized by all the pretty light and cool pictures. I dont know what I would do with but it show was pretty. To bad you cant play video games on it but then I would have to fight my kids just go fishing!!

Anyone got a Lowrance HD5? Would like a few opinions on it before I go to gallows with my wife. Is it worth facing the wrath of an outraged wife over?? The simulator wasnt working right on the floor model. Either that or the salesman failed MIT.

Thanks guys.

Chad

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Skim a little cash from your check every week (or if you get direct deposit get a second account), then use that money to pay for half or more. Then she won't know how much you spent.

When I worked at a tackle and gun store guys did that all the time to buy their big ticket items.

8. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a Lowarance at the stern, and wanted another up front on the trolling motor. I bought an Eagle, it has proven to be unstifactory. My Lowrance is an older model and it has always performed flawlessly.
    I too was amazed at the bells and whistles. When I finally got a clerk with a brain, we determined that for the water I fish, <40', most anything will handle the basics. Although, it would be nice to get one that shows the thermocline.
    After my Eagle gets back from service it will find a new home, then I'll get a Lowrance or Humminbird.

9. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry i have been out for awhile but had to hit the river for a week and get some fishing in.

I agree that my eagle is unsatisfactory. I just want something that will show terrain and structure. The eagle will show the bottom but i know when im over a log and heavy structure and it don't show crap. Am I asking to much? My eagle is crazy as well. i can turn on the fish ID and its never showed a fish lower than a few feet deep. I think this is mostly return off of trash. I never placed much stock in the fish tracker anyway but come on.

has anyone used the HD5 from Lowrance. I also looked at a couple of garmin units. I would like to by American made if possible but at this point I will take what I can get.

Thanks Guys.