Best Location: Late Night Flathead catfish After Spawn?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by JKeeney20, Jul 20, 2008.

Best Nightime Flathead Locations After the Spawn(Rivers)?

1. 0-5ft (Shallow sandbars, flats, etc...)

2. 5-15 (Medium depth areas)

3. 15+ (Deep River holes etc...)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    Was just wondering what you guys thought about this? There might be other options, but those are the basic ones I guess. Also I know tructure and all that come into play as well, but if you had to choose a depth than...:)

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my opinion is shallow.just because it is the easiest place imo to get food,specially since they are gonna be hungry

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    JK, were are you from in Ohio plz. If you would post it on your profile it may help some....Like Me LOL. Right now I'm tryin to find most of the Ohio guys in Eastern Ohio that fish the Ohio River. Tryin to find which of the Old Removed Wicket Locks that have structure/rubble left from there removal. Great fishin spots that we could share among the Members in theses areas. My FAVORITE SPOT is "Old L&D #9".

Just a request but if not comfortable do not.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I voted 0-5 ft.. I do catch them in the medium depths mostly 8-15 ft. though ... Reason i chose the 0-5ft. is because many years the water temps. soar in July and August, and the fish seem to move up under shallow riffles etc. when the baitfish do so also. I think oxygen content is the main factor involved during the hottest days of the year...rollo

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I said mid range but it's just a guess actually. After the rigors of the spawn i would think they will go where the baits at.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Dont know why, but Ive always had better success in slack or current breaks 20-30 feet of water, after the spawn.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've been throwing my baits up along the banks alot more this past week with pretty good results. caught a couple 10# flatheads one night and missed a good fish the other night, a real good fish......actually i hookem em....i think he got hung up and the line snapped. My bait wasn't but 5 ft off the bank in a couple ft of water. I feel if you find flatheads in shallow water, then they will be aggressive and feeding...........bassmassey

8. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Sounds like antother fish tail to me:wink:

9. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I voted 0-5' but have also seen medium depths of 5-15' also be productive. There are a lot of variables about the water that I think would come into play such as temp, time of day, current, etc... If shallow is not productive I cast a little deeper, then maybe a little deeper again if that is not productive. Once I find them biting that is the depth I stay at. Usually where the bait fish are (shallow) is the place to be but you never know...

10. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well ,In the ohio river around wheeling island, I seem to have better luck in medium depths of 5-15' right after spawn ends. Then about a week later they move to more shallow water. When that change to shallow water happens I like to hit some of the back waters and their out of control aggressive. Desode

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I said 5-15 and that is about how deep I like the water to be but I only fish about 1-3 ft. deep along the bank. I prefer using a bobber with a nice size gill on a 8/0-10/0 kahle hook.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nothing like seeing that bobber take off.i like hooking a fish in shallow water,then seeing about a dozen other fish take off jumping and breaking the water trying to get away from your fish.

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i said deep holes because rivers like the ohio its all deep lol

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Shallow in the summer, rule of thumb...

~ But if there are some nice rocks holding baitfish in 20 feet of water, you know I will put a bait there as well.

~A

15. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks now i now where to start this time of year if i get to a river

16. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i voted shallow thats when i have to best luck catching flatties look for the flats in the shallow and if you really know the water then when its up fish the flats u seen before the water came up old sand bars etc..i love the shallow i fish the big and little arkansas and do great on channels and flatties..:wink: