Best live baits for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by daredevle, Oct 4, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i have heard a lot of you using live bait for flat heads i have recently got into flat head fishing i used to olny fish for channels never new how to catch a flat till now but any way i always use blugill are there any other spcies that is good?:confused2:

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Check your state regulations for legality, but Shad, SkipJack,Crappie, Bluegill, Bass (smallmouth and largemouth) Green sunfish, Rock Bass, Goggle Eye, Speck, Bullhead catfish, creek chubs, shiners, drum, suckers, small carp, etc... are all good for the supreme fresh water predator.

Welcome to the BOC and enjoy the ride.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Blue Gills are always a good choice, but to be honest with you I have caught flatties on pretty much everything. Live shad work nice, chubs, even bass. Haven't been able to find much live bait that they will not take, but to sum it, most of mine have been taken on blue gill and shad. Good Luck:wink:

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    My favorite live bait in the Ohio River is baby carp, bluegill are also very good in most of the US and in Southwest Arizona Tilapia also work very well they probably work good in the south also.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    all of the above and all species of catfish are good. when i catch a small ie up to 5 pounds before dark that is hooked in the corner of the mouth with plenty of hook showing i just leave it on overnight.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i like mudcats or bullheads as they are called else where.they are easy to keep alive and stay alive and working on the hook to.i use them in 4 to 8 inch size only because i havent seen that many big flatheads come out of the rivers i fish.if i fished the ohio,tenn.,miss., or arkansas a lot i would go to even 12 inchers.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    One thing I have noticed is that in the falltime flatheads like herring, shad or whiteperch better then bream. Herring is the best bait in the fall in NC. I guess it's because of the vibrations the herring gives off. Thise alot more active then beam and even shad.

8. flatcatter

flatcatter New Member

State:
    pennsylvina
    i've had success with white bass up to 10 inches

9. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

I know a guy who will put anything 5lbs of under on for bait even 5lb channels, infact he was using a 4lb channel caught 18lb flat,44lb flat ate the 18 lb so really there is no such thing as to big of bait.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've caught flats on all the above bait . Never used anything a pound or over but big bait will catch u alot bigger fish.

11. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    this post is a joke isn't it?:eek:oooh:

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I like blue gills,gold fish, and Israeli carp!:wink:

13. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I lke bluegills, but in NC the prefered bait is live eel, I never cared for them and really can not stand them. I would say anything that swims where they live.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have caught 90% of my flatheads on bluegills.
    I also have sucess with other members of the sunfish family like red-breast, rockbass, green sufish, and pumkinseeds.
    Do not underestimate bass too, that is my second bait of choice.
    I guess it depends on the area you are fishing.
    Guys upo in Minnesota wear by bullheads.

Stick with the common bluegill and you should do fine!

15. FortyPounder

FortyPounder New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bluegill gets my vote

16. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    It has to be...there is no way a 44lb flat would even try to get a hold of a 18lber...

17. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah really i would suspect a 100 pound flat but not a 44 pounder

18. basinmaster

basinmaster New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bluegills or Green sunfish 2 inches upto about 6 inches. Shad also work very well but I have trouble keeping them alive in my bait well and they die on the hook rather quickly.

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like to use bullheads, they can live for weeks on a hook. I dunno if that one post was serious or not, but i have seen a 5lb Gasper Goo that we had on a line stuck in the mouth of a 15lb Flattie. I think anything they can fit is FOOD.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just about anything live or fresh will catch flatheads. They are opportunistic feeders so they won't pass up a meal right in front of them. I personally have caught more on bluegill, but that's what I use the most. I'm sure that what most people say is the best is what they use the most. IMO finding the fish is the hard part, and if you put a bait in front of them they can only resist it for so long before they take it. I dunno, I may be completely off but that's my view on it.