best line for trout

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by stinkbaitman, Jun 12, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    hey im gonna be doins some fishin for some smaller 8-16 inch rainbows brookies and rainbows in a couple weeks out in the black hills of south dakota. i will be fishing ins some small lakes and creeks with pretty clear water. ill probably be using a lot of mepps type spinners and some small jigs and the like and some still fisin. whats the best type of line for this situation? would florocarbon be good?

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i would use something like 4 lb green trilene with a 5x or 6x flourocarbon leader about 24 inches long.i would use a double surgeons knot to attach the leader to the main line. another technique to use is a small carolina rig. 4lb main line with a 1/4 oz. egg sinker, a small plastic bead and a small barrel swivel. then you tie a flourocarbon leader to the swivel. i use the carolina rig a lot when bait fishing. baits include power egg tipped with wax worm, wax worm by itself or a night crawler inflated with a worm blower. hope this helps. give us a report when you get back.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Where I fish it seems like the lighter the line I use for my trout leader, the more strikes I get. This seems to really be true with the rainbow trout. If you like spinners try the Panther Martin gols spinner with black body and yellow spots.........by far my most productive spinner. Get a wide variety of colors. I do this with rooster tails. Having the right pattern could mean the difference between a no-productive day and knockin' em dead. My old stand by patterns are fire-tiger, bumble bee, white and siver, and two tone green. There have been days when it seems a trout can not be found. When it's like this I find a black spinner w/black body will entice some strikes.

Richard

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If your catching hatchery raised rainbows I wouldn't get to rapped up in presentation 4lb mono . Size 8 hook AS LITTLE WEIGHT AS POSSIBLE ! IF your in to native brookies they can be finiky or vorocious eaters . If the trout have been caught and released repetetively is when it becomes tough ! I grew up fishing in WV and could limit out fairly consistantly . I also flyfished 2x tippet size 16 to 24 drys/nymphs . that is adifferent ballgame altogether . I don't know the trout you are facing . as for bait I have used corn/salmon eggs /power bait/small minnows . But nightcrawlers with just enough wait to get it down will or should do fine . the panther martin should work fine . Small rooster tails black or white silver blade . Don't know if you can find them but we always had some casto's flyspinners made in clarksburg wv . I still purchase them when I go home hope this helps good fishing

5. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use 6lb trilene sensation for trout fishing in small streams with small, size B to size 3 split shots 12" above the hook.

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    anything that dont break when you tie a knot...i cant tie a know with 4lb test to save my life!

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    IMO, I like to use 2lbs florocarbon leader attached to 4lbs.
    For lures check out trout magnets in chartruse color.

Jaime

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    do a search for fishing knots and check out a double surgeons knot. it's simple and strong.

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    one other thing i will throw in there is if you are haveing trouble with your knots on small diameter line when attaching to swivels or lures try a palomar knot. it wont slip like an clinch knot will.

10. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i always have used the trilene knot. i think in most tests this and the palomar have usaully been rated the highest.

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Now that I think about my two favorite all time lines I used for trout were magnathin & silverthread. I'm not sure if they are still available or not. For durability & castability they were great. I used the magnathin becauseI used to fish a powerplant from shore and I had to cast a minimum 40 yards
    to hit the first outlet gate. That was back when I could fish for 4-5 hours a day.....ahhhhh the good old days.

Richard