Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best line for putting on spinning reels for big cats. i know a lot of people have certain lines they like for baitcasters but sometimes they don't work well on spinning reels ( too stiff, too much memory, don't cast well). i know there are alot of very experienced people in the BOC so any and all advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the large line capacity Catt Maxx with about 75 yds of 65 lb spider wire then about 125 yds of powerline braid 65 lb works fine and casts with ease. One thing the braid isnt that forgiving when knots up so take a little more time and youll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Brian, without knowing what style of fishing you're doing or what reel i'll go out on a limb and suggest using braid. Braid offers a few advantages first it doesn't have memory like mono so on a spinning reel it really shines by increasing your casting distance i have seen a 50% increase in my distance. second it has little to no stretch and thats great when you fishing at distances off 100yds or more you can feel every bump. next if you use something like 20lb test its diameter is 6lb test so you can use less weight to hold bottom in any situation. lastly since braid has a habit of floating its great for slip float fishing.the biggest drawbacks to braid are the cost and its lack of abrasion resistance compared to mono. hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.