Best line for large spincast reels ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyron4, Jul 17, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's the best line to use in large spincast reels like Zebco 808 and 888 ? Right now I'm useing Big Game 20#, very tough and strong, but doesn't cast very far ( 30- 35 yds. with 1 ounce weight) and coils a little if line gets to slack. It works well enough, just wondered if there is a line as tough suited more for spincast reels ?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    On my spincasters I dont use anything that is over about 17 pound test. I like 14 pound best. If you are up to it, try Cajun Red CAST (it has to be the cast line, the lightning is kind of springy). It is fairly limp, but still really strong. I hope this helps :smile2:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

cajun red are silver thread should work for you up to 20 lbs. You may consider 17 lb test though

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You might try uping your sinker weight to 3 or 4 ounces to get more distance.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    It may not be your line that is causing the problem. Both those reels come loaded with 20lb. line. Just a thought but I'd grab the lube and a couple rags and go through them. Check around the reels for wear. I've got my original 808 that's at least 30 years old, still casts like new. I've got 20lb. Berkley line, low visability green, on it too. It used to be dark green but it's faded so much over the years it's more white than green.
    Don

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd try the cajun red cast. I use it on my baitcasters, and it is low memory.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Amen to the above.The above is great advice.Also.Hang at least 1,(2-6 are better)swivel snaps on end of line with weight ,float etc.Let out all of the line and reel it in a few times.The more the better.Lines naturally twist on all spinning and spin cast reels as you reel it in and when the drag operates.Fish,current,spinnerbaits,etc.can also do the same for all types of reels.This unwinding very often helps or makes a big difference in the performance of all reels.Constant use of swivels are a big help.With the early stiff types of Mono.4 to 6 ball chain swivels were a popular way to prevent this,where they could be used.peewee-williams

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I would try the SpiderwireEZ. I use it religously. It casts like a dream and I use swivels so there is very little if any coiling up to deal with.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would suggest using Sufix Tritanium Plus 20 lb, you wont be disapointed

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Spiderwire Stealth, its a threaded line so it casts far and smooth and doesnt have all the crazy recoil that standard monofilament lines have.