Best line for big catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Feb 24, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am getting ready to respool all my cat reels, and I am wanting to try some new line on my Abu. I am going to fish for big cats(just like we all do) and I usually use 20# Big Game. I want a strong line, but not real bulky feeling on my reel. What do you suggest?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You're already using the best IMO! Go up to 30lb test and you'll be happy.Thats what I use on all my 6000's and 6500's.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a27: :0a27: Berkley Big Game is the best Just increase your line size.:confident: :boss: :big_smile_2:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    20 lb test will do the job, I would not go over 20 lb test line.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Berkely big game, Cajun Red, Ande, Suffix, and the braided are mostly the answers you are going to get. You pays your money and makes your choice. All are good lines, none are bad choices. Each has different characteristics. You may just want to stick with the brand you are used to handling, even in bigger sizes it will seem familiar to you.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I have to agree, big game has never let me down!!!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think about all major line makers hav a quality product out there.I use ANDE Tourney 20# but thats because I like the chartruse glow of the yellow looks neat on the reels and I can SEE IT real well

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i only use 30# biggame it works great for me

Attached Files:

9. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    20 pound vanish

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    John, I use 80 lb. power pro with a 80 lb. mono leader. The pp is the sames dia. as 17 lb. mono.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    #30 berkley big game

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use 20 pound Ande.

Stretch is consistent and minimal. Cost is affordable. They make it in large spools. I can not see buying several 1/4 pound spools of line when I can buy one pound spools and string up many more rods much cheaper. Color selction is varied.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use 40# Berkley Big Game (Solar Collector). Just respooled all my rods and have never been let down by it.

14. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I consider myself to be a line prostitute... I ain't maried to any of them. That is the one aspect of my game I am always tinkering with. I've tried them all an they are all comparable. I am currently fishing Cajun. The best I ever found was a "camo" line called Black Widow. It was a very strong Mono with varying colors of red, purple, blue, green, over and over again. I saw it at the Henry's trade show back in 2000 and have yet to see it on the shelf anywhere. Bass Pro has a camo line similar to it but for some reason I don't think it is quite the same. I think it is stiffer for some reason. I'm hapy with Cajun so far but I'm worried the memory is going to be too much over time. But we'll see.

15. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Ive always been a stren man, usually 17lb test is what we used for trolling and ice fishing, but trout are different than monster cats. My brother did land a 33 lb lake trout that was 41 inches long and 21 inches around. Another friend of mine swears by P line. Apparently im in berkely counntry and thats all they use on the In-Fisherman so it cant be all bad.....

dru

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use big game 30 on a reel or twoand 80 or 100 power pro or spider wire. I love my braided line.

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I used 17# Stren for years and years.. Caught ALOT of big Carp, Channels and Flatheads on it.. I use 30# Big Game Solar Green now (got some Black lights :big_smile:) .. But I'd be hard pressed to have any complaints with the Stren.. Good Line - casts and works very well....

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'd keep what you've got.... I use 25# BBG on my tourny rods and never had a problem... the 20's just as good... and will let you have more on the reel.

You can try with alot of lines but if you've been using something for a while you learn the characteristics of it... When the lines going to break, etc... and can compensate for it by how you fight the fish...

Just to give you a comparison, Braided has a higher strength but it also gets damaged more in backlashes(as well as harder to get out of backlashes because of its rope like quality), is less abrasion resistant (usually) and has less stretch to allow the fisherman some forgiveness if he's got the drag too tight or the fish wants to go one way but the angler wants to go the other way equally as hard (ripping the lip of the fish and pulling the hook).

Mono is larger diametered, has stretch (so you don't get as much power on a hookset, but when a cat makes a run w/ a circle, it doesn't matter). Weakens fairly easily, has more memory, tougher to tie knots in sometimes (esp w/ larger test lines)....

19. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I think that Ande is the the best. I also use Stren High Impact. I have tried a new line on the market. It's called Evolution by P-line. So far it works great. Have any of you guys tried the hard mono line. A friend gave me a spool afew years ago. It's made for trolling spoon-plugs. This stuff was rated at 17lb. So far I haven't been able to break it. The only problem is I have to have it on my flathead poles straight below the boat. It don't cast.

20. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definately Suffix or Berkley Big game. I used suffix last year and I've never been happier with a line in my life.