Best line and reel combo?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by elphaba7, Jun 17, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I'd like to see information on which line is best for which reels. Alot of the threads ask "which line is best" but not which line is best for which reels. That's what I want to know. I mean, you wouldn't put 65# test on a Zebco 33, right?:big_smile:

Okay, BOC. What are the favorite combinations? I have 15# Stren on my Abu 5500. Let's hear some other combinations!

2. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    A Abu Garcia Record 60hc with a Jim Moyer Boss Rod. 65# power pro high vis yellow line. Thats what Im currently fishing with. Its an awesome combo. I want to get a surge rod as my second pole though.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i got 50lb power pro on a abu 6600

and 50lb spider wire catfish fusion, on a abu 5500,

the 6600 with power pro is my favorite, seems to cast better but then again its on a shorter pole so i dont know

4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Thanks, guys. This is what I'm looking for. Keep 'em coming!

5. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Do you like the spiderwire braided better than the power pro? I bought the power pro because it will glow under a blacklight.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

no, i like power pro much better

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have talked with and contacted many product representatives in my lifetime.I have always been curious and I have asked.The rod and reel manufactures clearly state the lines that their products are designed and made to be used with.We seem to have many rod and reel "Hotroders" these days.Many are spooling with three to six times the line strength that the equipment was designed for.This is not a problem as long as you set your drag correctly for the "RECOMMENDED" maximum line weight of your rod and your reel.Many are "SOUPING UP" the drags by removing the drags that were designed to handle the recommended line weights and protect the reel by giving before ruin.Many of these "UPGRADED" drags are capable of destroying the reel when they do not give when set for the maximum line weight,instead of the recommended rod and reel weight.A major rod and a major reel Representative gave these as the reasons that their products no longer have a life time warranty.Many on here talk about and often boast of their heavy line weights and "upgraded" drags on reels designed for 14 lb.line.The reel representative compared it to "Kids buying a 4 cylinder compact and trying to soup it up to run at Daytona." "Something has got to give".It made sense to me.From what I read on the BOC,I think that we have a lot that disagrees.peewee-williams

8. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Good information, Peewee. I would guess that not using recommended line for a reel could negate a warrenty, also, as well as modifications?

9. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    For big cats, I like my Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner 70 with 24 lb Berkley Big Game line on a 9' Berkley Reflex rod. Nice and bouncy/stretchy for circle hook work.

For my 5600 Abu's I like Remington braided line in 12 or 14 lb test. This is what I usually use for bass/pike on a 6'0 or 6'0 MH Ugly Stick.
    I think just about any braided line works good with that set-up.

I just worked up a "BIG" cat outfit that consists of an Abu Ambassador 7000, 40 lb. Berkley Big Game line and a 8' MH Catfish Ugly Stick. I've only fished with it one night so far, trying for a flatty, but man, that is a sweet casting set up!

10. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have 30lb power pro on my abu 6000 works nice.

11. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    12lb Stren Xtra Tough on my Abu 5000

12lb or 17lb Cajun Advantage on my Southbend spinning reel

8lb Cajun Lightning on my Shimano spinning reel

10lb Stren on my Zebco 33

30lb Big Game on my Penn 155

4lb Cajun Advantage on my Shakespeare ultralight spinning reel

4lb Cajun Advantage on my boys Tigger pole

10 lb Cajun Lightning on my Zebco King spinning reel without a rod

Aaron

TA2D

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I try to keep all of my reels within the set parameters for them, the only one that I do not know about is my penn reel but I have the drag set really light on it so I really don't worry about it too much.

Aaron

TA2D

13. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Sister Jen;
    You do realize your going to get at least three times as many combinations as people that post but I think I know why your asking because your question is similar to one I asked a while back.
    I totally agree with Brother Pee-Wee's post as I too, have talked with rod and reel factories and their technicians that work on this equipment day in and day out, especially the Reel folks.
    As a retired engineer I am always interested in how something is designed, the "How and Why" of it's design and what, if any, modifications might be reasonably made and how far one might push, if any at all, without getting totally ridiculous out of bounds on the design specs and intentions.
    You have not really specified if your more interested in Bait Casting Setups or Pure Spinning setups. A lot of folks use Bait Casting setups and as that is their strong points I will leave that part of it to them.
    I will share with you what I have tried, experimented with and am planning on setting up and using for my own personal Serious Catfishing Rod. Now remember, this is just what I am working on or using myself.
    I think everyone in the BOC would agree with me that choosing a Rod, Reel, Line, Hook, ect, etc, for Catfishing is a PERSONAL Choice based on what you feel comfortable with, what works for you, and your background in fishing along with other factors that I won't get into on this post.
    Having said all of this, here is what I am using and where I am going. I hope it helps you in some way. :smile2:
    I am currently using a Shakespeare Big Water Ugly Stik, 10' long/ two piece, Medium Heavy Action and rated for 1 oz to Oz bait weight and made to use with 12# to 30# line. For the Reel, I am currently using a PENN 5500SS that is rated for 325 yds of 10# line/275 yds of 12# line, or 225 yds of 15# line. I've cheated here a little bit and am using #17 pound Shakespeare Cajun Red Lighten' for now. This is my current "lightweight" setup.
    My current "Heavy" setup is again, a Shakespeare Big Water Ugly Stick Spinning Rod, but this one is only 8' long/2-piece but has a HEAVY Action and it's very different in handling and casting response than the 10' one! The Reel on it is the now discontinued PENN 9500SS that is rated for 430 yds of 20# line, or 375 yds of 25# line or 300 yds of #30 line.
    I currently have a spool of #30 pound PRACTICE line on it.
    I have several extra spools with different types and weights of line so that I can EASILY change out a spool in less than a minute to choose the line I think will do best in the conditions I am fishing at the time. This is one of the advantages over a bait casting reel. Spinning Reels used to be strictly Lightweight stuff but this is not as true as it used to be especially when you consider that there are spinning reels that cost $700.00 {yes, Seven HUNDRED Dollars} and MORE.
    Now, I do have a spool of #50 line for the 9500SS but that is used only for practice right now as I don't yet have a rod rated to that heavy a line.
    However, GATOR; one of our really GREAT members whom makes custom rods for SERIOUS Catfishing is going to take care of that for me in the next few weeks and I sent the reel to PENN International Tackle up in Pennsylvania and had the reel modified and upgraded to handle the heavier lines which was not too difficult because both of my reels are rated for SALT WATER use. And if you do get a Spinning Reel I strongly recommend paying the extra, which in some cases is not that much, and get a SALT Water rated Reel. Two reasons for that: 1. A salt water rated reel is made, shall we say, "Tougher" to handle that normally larger saltwater fish which makes it a better choice for those "BIGGUN'S" we all want to catch. Two, it's also rated to withstand Saltwater Corrosion which makes it very easy to maintain in fresh water. As in, just hose it down once in a while!:roll_eyes: :big_smile: It's a little more than that but you get the idea.
    You will have to talk with some of the people that own and use a GATOR Rod as I don't have mine yet. It is, however, my understanding that the craftsmanship is nothing short of superb and the performance is also excellent or better! if you want, when I get mine, and have used it a bit, I will be happy to tell you about it. :smile2:
    My first GATOR rod will become my "HEAVY" Rod and the upgraded and modified PENN 9500SS will go on it along with a heavier line, perhaps even one of those "Hi-Tech" Spectra lines, I've not totally decided on that just yet. There are Pros and Cons to those lines just as there is concerning many things in life.
    Then my current 8' HEAVY action will become a backup rod while the 10' Medium Action will be the "Light" weight one for a while longer.
    I have several other rods for other purposes as does my wife, and I am also currently testing some rods for a company as well as testing some different and newer lines for a couple of businesses. I have a Review on one of the lines on the Bass Pro website if you want to read it someday. It's for the Cajun Lines made by Shakespeare. Once I am done testing some of these other rods I will most likely give many of them away to some of the local children that don't even have one rod of their own and that way the rod will serve a better purpose than just sitting in a corner collecting dust!
    Altruistically, I consider some of these rods a bit "Light" for serious Catfishing work if your looking to haul in 30#+ catfish! If your doing Smaller Channel Cats, Bass, Walleye, ect, then a couple of these rods would work well for the purpose and with a reel as small a capacity as your little Zebco. NOT to put your reel down!! For what it was designed for, it's an excellent choice that is very cost efficient.
    If you do get into an Open Faced Spinning Set-Up please contact me via PM and I will be glad to help you out in any way I am able. Personally, for the money, I really like the PENN Reels, Even in the Bait Casting Line, I would still most likely go with a PENN. They have a new line out for the saltwater line and the "Big Boy" there is now called a PENN 850SSm. Slightly smaller than my 9500SS but still plenty big for serious Catfishing for the larger ones.
    Well, I hope all this yackety yakking on my part has helped you out in some small way. If not, then it's "My Bad" I think is what the younger folks say today.
    Just remember that not only myself, but just about every other member of the BOC will gladly help you to the best of their abilities if you only take the time to ask. :smile2: But then, you already know this because you already have taken the time to ask! :big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes:
    Take Care, Best Luck Fishing, and "holler" if I can be of further help.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of a Long Winded Post]]]]]

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use salt water ande on all my reels. On the 6000 and 6500's ive started running 30# and on the 7000's I run 40#.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Rod.-A 8 ft.Daiwa Beefstick spinning rod rated 1/2-4 oz.weight,and 12-30 lb.line.3 Okuma Coronado CD 90 spinning reels with 5 spools.#1-60 lb.Yo-Zuri Hybrid for extremely sharp (shell) or abrasive conditions.#2-30 lb.bulk mono.#3-20 lb.heavy cover.#4-12 lb.mono.#5 empty which I planned on 30 lb.Braid,but am leary as numb hands could lead to cuts.I also have back up rods to match the reels.This gave me a ideal mix or match and backup as needed.Fresh or salt water.For bait fish in open water or a huge lunker in terrible cover,I am as ready as I can be.I DO have heaver and lighter rigs to fish with as needed.I am in desperate need of the bulk found in large gear due to my hands.peewee-williams