Best "Leatherman Style" Multi Tool?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by RobotCatfish, Jul 24, 2007.

1. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    I'm in the market for a Leatherman style multitool, and havent had much luck finding the info that I'm looking for. So, I'm asking my brothers (and sisters) for their opinions; what are your experiences with your multitool? What's the best one you've seen or used? Have you ever broken one? Do the tools wiggle around after a lot of use? I'm guessing that whatever I end up getting will get average use, but over time, it might get heavier use if I can adapt to using it.

Anyone?

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i always had my best luck with a gerber. i like the one handed opening.

3. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    Don't get a S.O.G I have had 2 different ones and both of them snapped off the jaws of the pliers right where the wire cutter part starts...I have a gerber now and its holding up well...

4. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    I've carried a PST leatherman for about 5 years and have a spare in the drawer, not loose and 'wiggley' like the cheap ones. Like the screwdrivers, the knife don't hold an edge but i cut wire and stuff with it. try it you'll like it.--shu

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I clicked on the leatherman tool at the bottom of the page in the adds section. I got everything but a leatherman tool. Haas anyone else ever clicked on any of the adds?

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser and it kills most ads before I ever see them. But, as for tools, I've got several different leatherman tools scattered around that I've been using for maybe 10 years or more and I've never had any problems with any of them, even with some really tough use at times.
    I can't speak for any other brands, as I've never used them. I've heard pretty good reports on the Gerber, though.

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Gerber is the best hands down.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ibe got a leatherman super tool thats still sharp and no wiggling. I dont use it much but i have filleted a few bluegill with the blade. The cutters seem to have gotten dull though, probably from me cutting stuff it wasnt meant to cut. Ive heard good things about the Gerbers too.

9. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Hands down, it's the Gerber. Still tight after 3 years of constant use. And being able to open it with a flip of the wrist is nice.

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have a leatherman wave thats gutted everything from bluegill to deer. Good strong cutters and good metal. I like them much better than gerbers.

11. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA

GERBER! All the way!!!

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Best one was not the Leatherman, but the Schrade multi tool.

13. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have used a gerber for a long time I had a cheap one once and when i had a grip on a nut with the pliers they snapped and pinched the heck out of my finger so the only advise i can give is dont buy the cheap one. dang that hurt oh this brings back memories

14. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    SOG all the way, pretty pricey, but you get what you pay for