Best leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kurt, May 18, 2006.

1. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    What do you think the best leaders are. Premaid or homemade. If homemade what components

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    my homemades are 30lb test cajun red. i have some store bought as well. they are actually trolling leaders, with two hook sets, about 10 inches apart.

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    30lb cajun red 12-18 in long

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Kurt,
    I use salt water ande. 25 lb. on my reels and 40 lb. for my leaders. I use either a #1 or a 1/0 black barrel swivel and kayle hooks from 7/0 - 10/0. and prefer to make my own leaders from 18 - 24 inches long then use a 2 oz. egg sinker on the main line for a slip sinker. Hope this helps 777

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    50# flourocarbon is a good choice for leader. Clear flourocarbon is very low vis. and very durable.

6. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just bought a spool of 80# trilene big game, and some barrel swivels. I think when the 80 is tied to the hook and swivel, along with my 50lb test on the reel this will be as strong as leader as any.

I just hate buying leaders, they seem to always be junk or pricey

7. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I like 50lb mono for a leader. Mono seems to stand up to abrasion real well. Steel leaders almost always kink on me and many premade leaders have snaps that seem to be a weak link. Its good to be able to vary your leader lengths with what your fishing if you tie your own.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I bought a 700 yard spool of 80LB. big game. I should have enough line for leaders this year.

9. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    that is why im going to mono. I last a 50 or better from a snap breaking. He was right to the bank, and it jus snapped in half

10. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    I gotaa agree with copycat,
    less visibility=more bites

the bigger/larger fish are line wary and will not bite most times.Low-vis or invisdible flourocarbon will get you better chance at hooking bigger fish or rather more fish in the least.

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Some of the big cat water here in WV have musky as wel So I make my own leaders using wire when I want . I like to put a cork float on the leader also so making them my self I can customize them.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I personally prefer homemade, because that way you can tune your leaders to the current situations. Not only that, but any of the premade leaders that I have used have seemed to have had too much memory, and made of cheap monofilament. Maybe its just me, I dont know, but thats what I have observed.