Best Lakes to catch Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by JoeW, Oct 19, 2008.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live in the eastend of Louisville and was wondering where are some good Fishing hole's close other then the Ohio River since i dont have a boat yet. I have heard Taylorsville lake was good but never had luck there.....

2. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I've caught 2 -30+lb Flatheads out of Taylorsville, and some people have been catching 20lb blues there as well. They haven't been stocking the blues in there for very long I think it been just over the last 5 yrs or so but the size of the blues is getting bigger every year.

I don't fish there often but the 2 flatheads I caught were caught on night crawlers. One of the on a zebco 33 LOL....

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Try the Van Buren boat dock area on Taylorsville. I have done very well there in the past and make sure you use Skipjack or Shad. The Blues should be coming alive now that the water temps are beginning to drop. The Ohio is very accessible at Harrison Boat Ramp off Harrison Avenue in Indiana or you can fish the Falls of the Ohio. Also try to hit some of the sections of the Salt River. The fish in my avatar was taken from the Salt. And welcome to the board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Joe.

Have you tried Guist Creek Lake? It's close to you (Shelby Co.) and I've read somewhere that it's has channels and white catfish.

My brother and I use to fish it for bass probably over 30 yrs. ago.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Guist Creek Lake is a great lake for fiddler cats and channels. Taylorsville has got some nice blues , but is good cat fishing and the tale waters too. McNeely Lake is another great lake with nice channels. I live here at rough river lake and the are nice flats and channels here.and there are a few more.

from the fair grounds in louisville
    Taylorsville 30 to 35 mins away
    Guist Creek Lake 60 mins away
    McNeely Lake 10 to 15 mins away
    rough river lake 120 mins away

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Hey Joe..find some one that lives close to you that has a boat, maybe if you was to bye a lil gas they might help you out, plus you meet a few friends that way, and you might even get a good idea on places to go when you do get a boat. :wink:

7. JoeW

JoeW New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    THANKS for all the useful info I will post when i get to fish some if not all those spots and let you know how productive they were..