best lake in nebraska to fish at?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    where y'all think best lake to fish and how have u done there?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Well I haven't fished them all, but my first choice is ELWOOD RES. in Gosper CO. It's a small lake with many coves and great structure. Pretty deep too at full capacity. It's just a shame that the lake suffers from drawdown when used for irrigation. The last few years the lake is only at 30% to 40% capacity due to the drought in western Nebraska. Hope some year it will get filled back up.

I have caught many trophy size fish from this lake. Wipers over 24", catfish over 30", nice musky at 41", it's just an awesome lake.

I fish Johnson Lake religiously too. It comes in at 2nd. place.
    THANKS 4 YOUR POST!!:big_smile: Reps to you!

3. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There are three great lakes in Nebraska and I have fished them all a lot. First, in the spring I like to fish Branched Oak. It holds great amounts of BLUES in the shallows of the back waters. We have caught them from 6lbs to 30lbs. We went out there last year and we had 5 blues all over 15 lbs. it was fun. Second, I like to fish Elwood all year around. I think for channels it is the 2nd best lake in Nebraska. It is really low, yes but it still holds great fish. Lastly, the best lake in the state of Nebraska is Calamus. Hands down. I think it is one of the best kept secrets in the country. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cabelas tournament there in the future. It holds and yes I've caught a few 20lbs plus channels. Was fishing out there last year for a tourny and someone brought a 27lbs. channel. Oh by the way, it took 7 fish and 125lbs to win it!!!!!! I was fishing it last fall and caught almost 100lbs with 9 fish!! The same day, my father had 10 break him off in the trees and broke two poles messin with these monsters. This is a lake you want to be prepaired for.

Branched Oak right now is producing some huge flatheads. It is all catch and release but there are a couple of guys that are catching them deep that exceeds 45 inches. WOW!!!

Hope this helps and I'll see you on the lake!

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    summit lake in tekamah ne i know i spelled that wrong its a werid name of a town but the catfish tournements that i follow stops at summit lake and it is jammed packed with good size cats we look forward to that lake every year

5. gratefuljed13

gratefuljed13 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hands down, it's merritt reservoir, many different species and lots of state records pulled from there.

6. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They are all great places,I like Harlen Res. been fishing there since I was a kid. great fishing wheather its white bass, walleye, and my favorite catfish, we always seem to catch fish, and the people around Rep. city and Alma are great to The lake is way up now and should be good fishing lots of small trees at the shore line so be careful Hope Kansas gets rain so we don't have to give them our water TAKE A TRIP & RIP SUM LIP !!!!!

7. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    WHERE in the backwatyers of Breanched Oak. i don't have a boat yet and i am on foot. i have a jeep, but how do you get all the way back into the back waters? It seems all of the access roads are cut off. Help?

8. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    melstang1967 are you about done with which is the best questions,you can ask different questions

9. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    sherman is good also.... so i have been told. i read somewhere a while back ago and they compared merritt with the red river.

10. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It is really tough to fish it from the backwaters at Branched Oak on foot. You almost need a boat becasue of the vegitation that has grown over the years that the lake was down. You have to hike it a little from those roads but it might be worth it if you don't mind a walk and and some weeds.