Best lake for catfish in Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TX Catman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Now I have been to alot of lakes in north est, south est Tx but wich lake has the best Catfish......?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Livingston, especially for blues...50 fish limit, twice other lakes.

3. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have to say that we have had the best of luck on Rayburn. We sat in one spot and caught 144 1-2lb channels. We also do all of our Blue Gill and trotlining on Rayburn and do very well.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For size, I may go with Texoma. Choke Canyon is pretty good for numbers. Conroe has one of the largest populations of channels.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i would have to say that any lake in texas can be argued in this. Its all in finding the fish. My favorite lakes are so small that almost no one has heard of them, yet they produce alot of catfish. Hords Creek for channel cats, OH Ivie for yellow cat, and Lake waco for blue (not so sure about lake waco but only place i have really caught alot in one day.)

6. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
  7. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Amistad is good.

8. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    This could just be a regional popularity contest.... I've been practicing for retirement for the past two years and getting ready to be a full time catfisherman. I say Conroe for channels (lots of little ones), Houston for blues and toss up between Texana and Coleto Creek for yellows. Although you really have to hide your lines on Coleto from the bass fishermen - they're fond of cutting them and sinking them when they snag them with their lures. Guess that settles it for me - best flathead lake is Texana.

9. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    All I know is Texoma produces huge blues and lot of em............

10. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    it is my home lake but i say lavon, even though texoma is also good and cedar creek.........well theres a bunch of them

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Then, there's the winner in maximum limit, Livingston with a limit of 50 channels/blues per day. Supposed to be one fine blues lake.

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i agree that lavon is very good for rod and reel, but at somerville you always catch a lot from boat, bank, or from lines at all times of year. the fish are bigger at lavon but the numbers can't be beat at somerville.

13. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Livingston is a great lake.... now that it has water again
    Conroe is my lake of choice close full of kittys and the sights are nice also:cool2:

14. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey guys I'm lookin at moving to east tx as i was born in west texas where there is very little fishing period. Been in Ks for 10 yrs but am going back to my roots. Can fish about any where here. I have family in east TX around lufkin and was wanting to find some good cat places to fish. I bank fish and rigged for lake or river. Can you guys help me out please?

Thanks

kirk

15. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Stressedcat, as far as lakes goes, Sam Rayburn or Livingston. River: Neches River. And probably to many creeks to count.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Stressedcat, Rayburn for being close and good access, lots of Nat'l Forest, Corps, and other ramps around the lake. If no boat, you can find bank fishing too. Its a good catfish lake. Recently fished out of Sandy Creek, a Nat'l Forest boat ramp for 4 hours, first time trip, and caught 3 5 lb blues, also 3 eater channels. The Neches accessed to just to the West of Lufkin can be good, limited bank access, but the boat ramp used to be good, think its on Hwy 93. As said above, Livingston is good, though access is more limited, mostly at private marinas with a few public ramps, and the state park of Wolfs Creek when its open. For bank fishing, especially if you have a long rod, below the Livingston dam can be good, for boat fishing too, but it can get a bit crowded.

17. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I have never fished it and may not be qualified to speak of it but from pics throughout the past 5 years i would have to agree with Brent and say Cedar Creek and lavon...more so Cedar creek..those blues get big and the frquency seems to be more and more

18. Catfish_addiction

Catfish_addiction New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd have to say Choke Canyon has to be one of the best for eating size channels and blues, and Richland Chambers for Big Yella Cats.

19. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    BRENT! ... my homie. Well, a local Lavon guy and pres of the North Texas ACATS. Both our avatars are Lavon blues.

We are lucky guys, Texas has a good supply of the big 3 catfish species. Both in numbers and size of fish, plus year around fishing, and fairly generous laws. If we do our part to protect what we have, improve upon it, and keep a heathly supply growing we can pass it on to the next generation of Texas catfish anglers.

20. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX