Best knots?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Chicago, May 17, 2009.

1. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey all. Perhaps this has been discussed directly in some other thread (if so I must have overlooked it), but what knots do most of you guys use? I have always used a snell knot for my hooks and palomar knots for everything else. Are there better knots?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    I use the Palomar mostly, and some kind of twist knot sometimes,,
    I can't get the hang of free handing snell's.. I have a little device I can use, but, I don't pretie anything, and I don't mess with it on the water.
    My stuff seems to hold up, I don't have knot failure,, I mostly use mono line.

And,, Welcome to the BOC..:smile2:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use the Palomar and the Cinch knots . I mainly use power pro and havent had any problems so far with either knot .

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nick Welcome to the BOC. I ditto your post. That is the way I do it.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Nick! Welcome to the BOC!

For knots, I like using the Improved Clinch Knot for tying to my knots and leaders. Arbor Knot is used for tying line to the reel spool. Also, I will use the palomar knot too.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  8. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guys. I've never had a knot failure but I'm always looking for better ways. Life has taught me that there is always something more to learn. That is especially true with catfishing, and on this site, where there are so many people with so much knowledge to pass. Thanks for the warm welcome.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    A Big Old Welcome to the BOC Nick,Proud to have You Join Us. And if You ever have a question that You need an answer to just ask away and one of the folks will know the answer OK. J.D.:wink:

10. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I mostly use the improved clinch, have recently started using snells, and FYI on knot wars a knot called the fish-n-fool beat the palomar in this years finals. It really doesnt look like its that hard to tie. http://www.versuscountry.com/itemdetail.aspx?id=3735

11. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Welcome! If you really want to take it to the extreme try the bimini twist. It comes from the island of bimini for saltwater fishing. There are a few different ways to tie it. It will give you a double looped end which you can girth hitch over a swivel. I've been meaning to get some picks up which sooner or later I will, just google it until then. If this knot is tied correctly it is well over 100% line strength but it is hard to learn. It really is worth the effort to learn it and to use it in conjunction with a snelled hook. More later.

12. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use the snell knot for all hooks, if they are big enough for my sausage fingers to hold it properly.:wink:

I have been using the fishin fool knot here for the past 2 weeks and love it. I hate to admit it bit I like it better than the palomer. And I have use the palomer for about 18 years now.

Fishin fool link.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    All my hooks are snelled and my swivels get a modified clinch type knot.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use snelled and the palomar the most

15. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Knots are like tool set... you need a variety of tools to fit different applications. Sure, a pair of pliers will work where a crescent wrench would work better... and still a ratchet set would be even better still. Variety!

All of my hooks are snelled. It's just a habit now since I started snelling way back in the late 80's (high school).
    For those of you who are having a hard time with snell's here is a terrific video description that's easy to see and follow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9qx5z23erc
    All credit must go to the originator as this is not my own work.

Most of non hook connections are done with an improved clinch...

I use the Slim Beauty Knot for attaching shock leaders to running line. It gives the same amount of retained leader to line strength as the bimini-to bimini type connection (which is near100%, no knot is 100% of the line strength let alone in excess of the original line rating).