Best knot to tie to the reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Dirtman, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I having trouble tieing a knot to my spinning reel, I have 20 lbs power pro braided line and is unabled to get a to line on my reel, It just spinning.So i do not guess my knot is tight enough.

Need help

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    just open the bail and hold the line and wrap it a couple wraps and then reel as far as a knot i use a loop and pull your line back thru put on spool so when you reel it up it pulls it tight

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use a small piece of tape, once you get it started it will do fine. I use this method on my bait casters so if I don't hear the clicker all they'll get is my hook, line, and sinker. Hope this helps.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the arbor knot is what alot of people use..

5. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i just tie a regulae ol'e square knot, if he takes all my line then he deserves it.

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if your using braided line its always an idea to spool a few yards of mono on then tie your braided to your mono.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Arbor knot and a piece of tape. Some people use mono for a few wraps then tie the braid on.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    putting a couple yrds of mono on first is best uni knot to the spool then a uni to uni knot to connect the mono to the braid. if you dont want to do that then you can take electrical tape and wrap it tight around the spool and then tie the braid on with a uni knot.

9. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    looks like they got you covered pretty good. :cool2:

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: totally with this post - because I started using braided line this year & earlier this year, while at the Ca./AZ gathering of this year, I came across the same problem (Line just sliding on the spool) & a friend of mine (BillyJo) Told me to do the same thing & help me with my braided line on my spinning reel. :0a31:
    (Adding the Mono backing)
    &
    I'm here to tell you that "It Works". :0a23:
    :wink:

11. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always use a slipknot, one way it won't tighten the turn it around and it will the other, works on all the different lines I have tried through the years.

12. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Look up a centauri knot. It locks tighter than an arbor knot. I use a small stip of tape on my reel before I tie on a new line so the line doesn't spin around.

13. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use 30#XP braid first I put a few wraps of black electric tape. Then a slip knot and spool on the line and have not had one slip yet. It works on spinning or casting reels. When you respool just let the tape on and put the new line on.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Power Pro now comes with a double sided adhesive tab that is very sticky. I spooled 65# PP on my Okuma Epixor EB 50 and Ive already caught 20+ blues with it, with the biggest being 16 lbs. Ive had no problems with the line spinning around the spool, so Im pretty confident that the adhesive tab is holding strong. Hope this helps someone. :big_smile:

15. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I usually put on 15-20 feet of mono as a backer with a slip not. Nothing fancy but spools right up for me.

16. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I never tie a knot, I just make a simple loop, that way if I doze off on the bank and get spooled the fish only gets my line with sinker,hook, swivel, instead of my entire rig! This hasn't happened yet.