Best knot for braided line?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by tnsojaman, Aug 22, 2008.

1. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    I was wondering what knot you guys use for braided line? I have always used the uni knot for mono but was not sure if it would work with braid. What about the polomar (I think that is how it is spelled) knot? Any other suggestions?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Palomar works for me on braid. Easy to tie and holds strong.

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Palomar is ONE OF THE ONLY KNOTS SUGGESTED FOR BRAIDED LINE USE WITH NO FAILURES AND TRUE TESTAMENT TO LINE LB RATING

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Put a little drop of super glue on it for added insurance.

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have been using braid ever since Fenwick first came out with it many years ago. I have used nearly all the major brands and tried nearly every knot know to man. My favorite is the uniknot for braid. I use the palomar exclusively for mono but have had many pull off under a hard hookset with the palomar on braid.

6. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    So the uniknot can be tied with braid? I have used the uniknot for years and absolutely love it. I have never had it fail unless I got in a hurry and tied it wrong. I may have to try both and see which works better for me. Thanks guys

7. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno

8. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Are you sure it was tied properly I have never had one come undone I can darn near pull a tree out with my 50# braid and palomar

9. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree, with that. I use 100 pound Saltiga braid, and have never had a polomar come loose. I could pull a truck of the bottom of the river without a polomar even slipping.:confused2:

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I'm pretty sure my knots were tied right. I have been fishing hard and tying knots for nearly 40 years. I never had a problem with the palomar on braid on a steady hard pull. The problem I had with the palomar on braid was when I bass fished and set the hook hard and fast with a stiff graphite rod in shallow water. I never had the problem with the uni knot. I'm sure the palomar works fine on todays braids but I lost confidence on the knot way back when braid first came out.

11. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    I bet they werent as efficient when they first hit the market is right im sure the quality wasnt there yet makes sense completely

12. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    this is the knot I have been using with the dacron braid it is real strong and wont slip
    San Diego Jam Knot Instructions:

Step 1: Pass the line through the eye of the hook, swivel, or lure. Double back over the main line.

Step 2: Begin making turns over the main line. The number of turns varies with line size, from 8 turns with 10lb line down to 3 turns with 40 lb.

Step 3: Complete the appropriate number of turns, then thread the tag end of the first loop above the eye.

Step 4: Holding the coils in place, pass the tag end through the loop created by the last coil of the knot.

Step 5: Hold the tag end and standing line while pulling up the coils. Make sure the coils are in a spiral, not overlapping each other. Slide against the eye. Clip the tag end

13. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
  14. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Not saying for sure but isnt that THE IMPROVED CLINCH KNOT?

15. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Single or double palomar knot, I trim the end about a half inch long. Then holding the eye of the hook I grab my lighter and melt the end a bit, just enough so that it mushrooms and makes the end bigger. (protect the main line so that a flicker of flame can't melt it or you'll be doing it over)

No more slipped knots on hard sharp pulls, its going to either break the line or straighten the hook.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    On smaller braid I use a double palomar, single on heavier braid. Hope this helps.