Best knot for braided line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by ravenloft420, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I use 60 lb spiderwire with 30 lb mono leaders. I got snagged twice in the river yesterday and wrapped my line around a stick and pulled it,but instead of the mono breaking and just losing a hook, I lost 2 hooks,swivels,beads,freshly molded no-rolls. I am convinced the 60 lb didnt break but came undone instead.

what is the best knot to use with braid to tie to the swivel? I have never had a knot come undone with mono. I was using the old tried and trued blood knot blood knot on all 3 knots. guess it doesnt work to well on the braid end.

I dont mind losing hooks to much but I HATE!!!! losing sinkers and swivels!!

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Andrew, I use the palomar knot, I use 50 lb power pro.

3. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bam is on the money. Palomar is the way to go.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    double palomar is recomended for braided lines wont slip and is a strong knot strength

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    what is a double palomar. never heard of it

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I too use about the same rigging. I can't get the preformance that others do with the Polmar Knot so what I do use is the Improved Double Clinch and glue it just before I pull it tight. For me it than gets aprox. 44#s before it fails.

Note: Posted a lesser # in a passed post.

Hope this may help.
    :embarassed:

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    is this 44lbs on 60 pound braid?

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    \
    Nope, it 50# Spiderwire"Stealth".

Sorry fer not sayin so.

:wink:

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't know what a double palomar is but most always use the Palomar but will check into the double.
    Jake

10. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I use the same line and have had problems like that. I can stand losing the hook, that's no biggie but those sinkers will run you dry losing. I hope you find a successful knot.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I use 80lb braid and leaders and tie with the UNI knot.I have tested it dozens of times on knot machines at fishing shows and it gives close to 95% efficiency.I have never had one come undone but you must use 5 turns when you tie it.:smile2:

12. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Raven, for directions on the Palomar knot, or any other knot, just do a google search and you'll find plenty of helpful diagrams.

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    A double palomar is when you double the line and put it though the "eye" and make an "overhand" knot, give an "extra" wrap on the "overhand" before looping the hook and pulling tight....I've never used braids, but have read that most knots have to be "wrapped" more than reccomended....DemoMan

14. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good Information

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use polomar knots on all my catfish gear, I use 120lb daiwa saltiga braid. I use it on mono also, its the easiest strongest knot IMHO. Just make sure you wet the mono before any knot, if you dont the heavy friction of cinching it down will severely weaken it.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
  17. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
  18. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Check out the paperwork that comes with your Powerpro line. It shows you several knots and when/where to use them including a couple versions of the Uni knot and the basic Palomer not.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    palomar, nuff said. just make sure you lube it up before you tighten it up. i use the 50# power pro and 60# stren super braid.

20. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info on the polamor knot. It is easy and very strong . takes less effort than tying a cinch knot . Makes for fast hook changes with added confidence, thanks again.