Best Knot? best knot to use to tie the hook onto a double-lead mono fishing line?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Welkmeister, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    What's the best knot to use to tie the hook onto a double-lead mono line? I'm using 50 lb Cajun and I'm having trouble using the traditional loop knot. I can't get it to tighten like it does on the smaller lb test lines. I've been looking online at the various knots but I'm not sure which is best. The Palomar knot looks good in pictures because it gives a double loop through the hook eye instead of a single loop but anything that simple to tie can't be very strong!

Any advise would be helpful.....I don't want to see a bigin' swim away because my hook tie didn't hold.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's the beauty of a palomar, not only is it easy to tie, but it retains almost all your line strength. It's about the only knot I use, and it's the only one at all I use for braid. Dunno how well it'll work on 50# mono (I think it would work fine, but I'm a braid guy, so I haven't tried it myself).

Sounds like it would be perfect for what you're wanting to do. Good Luck!

Branden

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    About all I use is the palomar. Not only easy to tie but a very strong knot that can be tied with the larger line.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use 40 lb mono and I have never had a palimer knot break on me. I dont use any other knot.

5. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Earl hit it right on the head of the nail for use with the larger mono lines.. Otherwise a modified trilene works well too where you wrap it back in like the clinch..

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i snell my hooks an a polamer knot on the swivel an have not had a one break yet

7. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    Thanks to all for the information. Sounds like the Palomar is the way to go.

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Palomar is a fav for these tired ole eyes but my go to when It counts is the Improved Cinch with just three wraps. 5 for small diameter lines.
    As has been said wet any knot to draw it up without damage to the main line.
    Our Salt water friends use it on larger diameter Mono and apply a drop of "Fishing glue" to the wraps. Protect it with a bead if your gonna have anything bumping it.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for the Palomar here, Don't let the simplicity fool you it's the best and strongest knot and i use it on braid and 50 lb. ande. Like stated always wet it before you cinch it down.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Palomar all the way..........:big_smile:

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Easiest knot to tie has got to be the Palomar and it holds tight especially on the braids which are known to slip.

12. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    Palomar all the way. Never had one break off with mono or braid.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Wow, didnt realize we had so many Palomar Knot fans out there. I'm going to have to buck the trend. :tounge_out: I use a trilene knot, also known as a double clinch knot in some parts of the country. I've never had a knot fail as well, KNOCK ON WOOD :smile2:

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have two different knots that I use. On braid and smaller diameter mono, I will use a palomar knot. On my mono leaders, (I use Ande 60lb) which is usually a large diameter, I use the trilene knots. I have had some issues this year with the palomar's failing on the larger diameter mono.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Palomar is about the strongest knot going.

I don't like tieing it in heavy mono, though. With heavy mono, I snell all my hooks and use a Uni Knot for the swivel.

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's what I do as well and it has always worked well for me! Haven't had one break yet!!