Best Jon boat for a 20hp 4 stoke

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CoyoteCatfish, Mar 19, 2009.

1. CoyoteCatfish

CoyoteCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey All
    I'm new to the group and have a new 20 hp 4 stoke. Has anybody got advice about Jon boat size. Im looking to keep weight down to basic needs only. I'm looking to fish a great little creek and a nearby river. :eek:oooh:

Thanks everyone.

2. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    i'd go 14' to 16'. had a 25 hp on my 16' worked ok.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The current will have a lot to play too. Some places i fish I could get away with a 20hp on a 20ft then other places I would have trouble with a 20hp on a 14ft jon.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I personally wouldn't go any bigger than a 16' jon boat. I like my boats to plane out, and get up and go......i am not a speed demon, but i like to be able to get back to the boat ramp should a summer storm pop up out of nowhere (or an emergency arise). My 1448 flatbottom will do 27 to 28mph by my gps with a 25hp 2 stroke. I also feel that its more efficient to be able to run my boat on plane at part throttle, than to have too small a motor and run it full throttle all the time to remain on plane. Go with a 1648 riveted boat and it will be lighter than one of the wider welded boats, lighter = better performance.

With all that said, if you are fine with putt-putting around, you could go even as big as a 20ft jon (or larger) and it should still get you there.....just probably not very fast, and possibly not even on plane.

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First off welcome to the BOC Kenne. I personally would not go over a 16 ft with a 20 horse. Depends on the creek or river or lake you plan on going on. talk to other people at boat ramps and just see what other people are using. I used to have a 16 ft aluminum with a 25 horse 2 stroke and ran the mo river all the time. This river has a strong current avrage 3 to 4.5 mph current. I had no problems at all. Good luck with your quest.

Tom

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    1st off welcome to the boc Kenne. Should have no problem with a 16' flat jon 40"+ wide, if your running shallow water and getting new ya mite look at finding a tunnel hull for a prop(deeper then a jet tunnel) weld-craft makes some nice tunnel jon's:wink:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

8. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd go with a 1448, much more stable than the narrow 14'ers and the 20hp will have no problem pushing it.

9. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a Lowe 1448 with a 20hp tohatsu 4 stk. I think it is a great match and it will move. 27 mph gps one man, 25 mph with two men and one lab.