BEST HUNTING KNIFE

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by catoon, Feb 2, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    im in search of a good hunting knife .any ideas

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cant say a bad word about CASE XX they will out live you.:wink:

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use old time Western knifes. easy to sharpen and hold a edge vary well.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
  5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hmmm, what are you hunting? Would you like a straight knife , or a folding knife?

Can you sharpen very well?.
    You just want one?
    You want something that if you lose it you won't CRY, or a nice one??

How much can you spend?

D-2 Tool Steel will be about the best blade steel you can get your hands on for "over the counter" knives.. and Fairly reasonable,, if you know how to sharpen,,

Do you like drop points, trailing points, bowie style blades, clip points, replaceable blades?
    Traditional knives, or Modern tactical, lockback, or slipjoint, or linerlock??

Flint knives, or ceramic blades?

Hmmm, can't really go wrong with a Case Sodbuster,,,:wink:

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    reckon ill just carry a butter knife lol lmao.i have 100 knifes i need to know which to use as a hunting knife i am reading all replies and thinking.yes i can sharpen all my knifes :wink:

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    There are a lot of good knives out there. Folding or fixed blade is your preference but I have and like Buck folding hunter and a fixed blade old timer. i love both of em.

:cool2:

9. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just want to add that in this case, bigger is not better. Sharper is better! I'd used an original Buck Folding Hunter for 30-plus years until this year when I switched to the Buck Pathfinder fixed blade. The only reason is the Pathfinder is easier to clean. I got tired of having to soak the folding knife to get the hinge clean. The Pathfinder has a 4 1/2 inch blade that allows you to get the work done in tight places. The composite handle feels slick when not in use but is designed to "grip" when bloody. I was lucky enough to dress out 5 deer this season without any need to resharpen. Good luck.

Mike

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I agree, bigger is not always better. I use a Gerber knife, and the blade is only about 3.5" long. Its sharp and works just fine. A bigger knife tends to get in the way for me. I also like a fixed blade, cause i dont have all the little areas inside to clean, but that's personal preference.

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    This is the next knife I am going to buy.

[youtubevid]DbDYpNpRSiQ[/youtubevid]

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I own a Skyblade Mink made by Todd Orr of Montana. This knife works great for dressing deer and the such. Holds a very sharp edge and fits great in the hand. Many styles to choose from and different woods. Check them out. http://skybladeknives.com

13. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    i love my cutco. great for gutting and skinning ( although i dont use it for skinning) and after every season i send it back and they sharpen it like new for $5 and if they cant get it like new you get a new one

14. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    i will second the cold steel i have been looking at those for awhile but for small game i have not found any better knife then a fillet knife it just works better i think its because its flexable and thin got a suggestion for everyone before u sharpen ur next knife feel where the dull spots are then ask ur self why we carry such a big knife i know i only ever use the bottom 2 inches and about 1/2 an inch of the point

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    [youtubevid]I2pdsCniTn8[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]khgEE74AHHs[/youtubevid]

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You can't go wrong with a k-bar

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    These are some of the knives I've used for years..The top knife is O-1 Tool steel, Ironwood handle scales, I built this one about 1990.. It features a differential heat treatment.. Awesome performance..
    The middle knife is a Northwoods Mountain Man lockback, It features D-2 bladesteel and nice Stag handle scales.. It's actually a little bit better in edge retention than the O-1 straight knife above it. It's a great size..
    The last knife is a Swiss army locking folder, It does a real good job also, and has the saw blade, which is VERY impressive and useful.
    These are several I use regularly, and keep them in my hunting pack, I also carry a few others,, My daily users have either D-2 or 154-CM bladesteel, these steels are exceptional regarding edge holding ability.. and can be brought to a true razor blade sharpness!!

Attached Files:

18. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    i have a hen and rooster and i love it. its the sharpest knife i have ever owned. made of german steel and they have antler stag handles.

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I don't think having 3 on ya when yer hunting is out of the ordinary. I carry two, daily.
    For hunting I think a fixed blade is much easier to clean...and for deer size game it doesn't have to be large.

I think it's really sad that most today's products are no longer made in the USA.
    :sad2:

20. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I like my Gerber knife. It's a folding lock-blade type. With serrations near the back of the blade. Overall length is around 8" or so. VERY sharp and holds an edge. Excellent for gutting and skinning. Makes a damn good bait knife too.