Best Hooks for fishing Bluegills?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by flathead_ky, Mar 22, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was wanting to know what were some of your choices in what hooks and sizes you use for fishing with Bluegills. I use a slip float setup in calm water most of the time. My bluegill will range from 3" to 6" sometimes bigger.

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I use a #6 carlisle hook because of the long shank. Keeps the bluegills from swallowing the hook. I use them for bait and want them in the best shape possible
    Rat

3. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hi Trent.
    I use small circle hooks. I've had good luck with the gills not getting gut hooked as often. In fact there is another article about bluegills and circle hooks being discussed today.
    ---> Bluegills on Circle HOoks.

4. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depending on how finiky, a #6,OR #8 Aberdeen,If the place is presured a #10 may be needed.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Your post said fishing 'with' bluegills, not 'for', so that's what I'm going to answer. If I'm fishing where there is a lot of woody cover, I use a large circle hook; otherwise, I use a kahle hook. Same goes for cut bait, but the size will probably be different.
    Oh, what the heck. I've got some small circle hooks that are supposed to be great for 'gills, but they're too big for most of the bait bream I catch; I use long shank #10 or #12 wire cricket hooks most of the time, regardless of the bait I'm using.

6. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Guys Im sorry, I was wanting to know what hooks and sizes you use for hooking bluegills as bait for cats. I guess the way I kind of worded that sounded wrong. Thanks for tips on catching gills. For cats, most of the time I use a slip float setup in calm water the gills I use are usually around 4" to 6" sometimes. What hooks and sizes do you use when hooking gills as bait?

7. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Okay, I admit it. I can't read. Lol I got fishing "for" bluegills in mind. Sorry about that.
    I usually use about a 4/0 - 5/0 O'Shaughnessy.
    Rat

8. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I almost always use #6 or #7 gamakatsu circle hooks. I scrape the scales off of an area near where the tail and the top fin meet. Then just hook them right under the spine. I scrape off the scales so that they dont stick to the barb of the hook when I put it through the gill.

9. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like to use 7/0 to 10/0 octopus hooks

10. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Kahle hooks, 4/0-10/0. I also fish calm waters. I don't hook the bluegill or other baitfish with the hook. I use a solid round wooden toothpick stuck through the top of the back (near the back of the dorsal fin). I then secure a 6-8 inch twist tie around the toothpick, then trim the toothpick on either side. The other end of the twist tie is tied to the hook. The idea is to create a gap of about 1-2". This is to insure that the hook doesn't bite back into the flesh of the baitfish.

Ralph

11. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Guess I can't read either lol. I normally use a 7/0 khale.

12. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Personally i keep it simple... i dont care if the gills swallow the hooks because i dont use them for bait so I use a bobber and extremely small hook as small as u can get with a nightcrawler or waxworm... 20 fish in a day dont lie bro....
    Joe

13. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    You can come anytime you want bro up to our slush ponds and catch as many as you can carry out

14. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    WEll,it all depends......what size bait,what kind of bait,how big are the bluegills you are goin after,long shank for live bait,short shank for dead.:)