Best hook for trotline, limbline, etc

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Cliffcat, May 17, 2007.

1. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What is the best trotline hook? Or limb line, jug line, etc. I realize live bait vs. cut bait may involve different size hooks, but what hook will get the greatest amount of fish for the frying pan for your effort? I’m looking for specifics here. Brand, model #, style and size of hook etc. As much info as you can give. For example; you could just copy and paste your favorite out of Catfish Connection’s catalog, like I did.

L142F-2/0
    EAGLE CLAW KAHLE NICK SIZE 2/0, 50PK
    $4.80

Thanks,

Ralph

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, I want a hook with a big eye that I can thread a doubled 100#-150# nylon twine through. Kahle and circle hooks generally have too small an eye; the ones that do have a big eye seem to be awfully expensive. So, despite a slightly better hookup ratio with kahles, I've switched back to ordinary 'J' big-eye trotline hooks, either Mustad or Eagle Claw. For lines left in the water for extended lengths of time, you need to use stainless steel hooks, or you'll end up with rusted hooks; otherwise, ordinary bronze or nickel hooks will work just fine. For my jugs, I use 4/0 or 5/0; for trotlines, I like to go a little larger, with 5/0 or 6/0. That's for baiting with cut bait; with live bait I like to go larger, with size depending on the size of the bait.