best hook for catching carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by cathunter600, Aug 4, 2008.

1. cathunter600

cathunter600 New Member

State:
    alabama
    What type of hook should I use and what size should it be

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    owner ssw 1/0. only hook i will ever use....

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    For me, it is the Gamakatsu G-Carp/Live Bait Saltwater hooks in the 1 or 2 sizes.

HOPPY4

4. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Depends on what bait I'm using. For corn and worms, I like a #4 gamakatsu octopus hook, and for boilies and berry bags I like a #1or 1/0 gamakatsu octopus circle on a bolt rig.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    ChannelCatBen excuse me for my ignorance sir, but whats a bolt rig?

I've always picked up a few carp here and there fishing the Red River. But I've never really targeted them. However if the cat fishin is slow a switch to a good carp rig could add spice to an otherwise quiet trip.

6. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    teach me guys, I'm thinking the same about slow fishing needing a pep. Are these the fish in coves that break the water and make big swhirls? Are they chummed with soured chicken scratch?

Rubes

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    You can chum them with juice from canned corn, or a can of wet dog food. I think carp are pretty much every where, they are here. To get the big ones i go wherever i think there is a food source to attract them. Here i go to cottonwood trees over the water and Russian olive trees.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use a plain old size 6 baitholder with dough or bread. haven't throat hooked one yet.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well I used sort of a hair rig yesterday and was almost instantly into fish. Dang if I know why it works, but it sure seems to. First one was a monster, screamed 50 yards of line off my reel then ran for a stump. I played for 10 min trying to get him back off the stump but eventually gave up and broke off.

Retied my rig, baited and BAM was off again. This fish was smaller than the first, and went right over the 10lb limit on my scale. I'm guessing it was at least 15lbs. And about a third smaller than the first one I hooked.

Cats were slow yesterday, so a pair of very nice carp sure livened up my day. Going out later this morning, just whipped up a new batch of doughballs to try. Love hearing that drag scream!

10. onionhead1112

onionhead1112 New Member

State:
    Ocala, FL
    Actually smaller hooks work better. I use size 6 and smaller for Carping.Carp like to eject hooks and gravel etc rather fast a small hook nerly always catches them in the mouth every time or use a circle hook which can be a larger size up to a 1 or larger.
    Never use treble hooks for carp they harm the mouth badly in my opinion.