Best hat for Head Sweaters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dwreel, May 24, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have to wear a hat to protect my "Chrome Dome". Problem is, it makes my head sweat. a LOT. Baseball caps are the worse. I can sweat enough to wet 3/4 of the bill and half way up the sides. Because of this, I don't fish during the day in summertime.

Does anybody else have this problem and what do you do for a solution??

:sweat:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd try some 50spf sunscreen I've never had a hat that has made my head cooler....only warmer.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Good old straw cowboy hat works for me. Plus I get some shade from it.

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've tried the straw hats, but when the ones I use get wet, they get limp as a dish rag. Maybe I'm buying the wrong kind??.What say you??.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Dick, I hear ya brother. Those guys with hair don't have a clue, a head full of hair will soak up a bunch of sweat. I have to use a sweat band to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I get them at Walmart for about a buck a piece. They are around where they have tennis rackets and weight lifting stuff. I have the worst looking fishing hat I've ever seen. I'm almost ashamed to be seen in it but I like it better than anything I have found. It helps to keep you cool and you can get it wet and it helps even better. Here is a link for one kinda like I've got, mine is white.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search_redir&id=0033211901768a&navCount=0&podId=0033211&parentId=cat110002&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat110002

I told you it was goofy looking.

ST

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check out the peasant and coolie hats on the INTERNET.Some can be had for less than $5.00.Target stores have carried them.They may look odd,but they have stood the test of time.The one I had was made of bamboo (I think).It was cool,did not absorb water and tied under the neck for wind.I lost mine to a low hanging limb.As they will not repel Hornets,I left it hanging.Peewee-williams

7. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here is a picture of what I do in the summer for my wife and I. It's odd but works.
    :lol:

Attached Files:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I also wear one of these and they work well.The hat that I am wearing in my BOC picture is a GIN-U-WINE quilted all cotton Chinese peasant hat that I wear in the winter.peewee-williams

9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Well I have to say that I have the same problem. I still have hair so I can wear a visor and it does well. But when I do wear a regular hat it gets soaked,so what I do is when it hot and I want to where a hat make sure it is white you cant see the sweet as much and the white reflects heat.

The link is for one of my white hats, it does what it says, gets wet and dries fast.

http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/catalog/pdp.jsp;jsessionid=N55IT2DB41I22CQFTBDCFFAKAWMEOIV0?productId=104105&origin=null&productGroup=104106&_requestid=417089

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I wear a boonie cap and so far it helps altho there hasnt been much heat here in Ohio.

11. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Brother I have the same problem you do. I can soak a ball cap quickly. My fishing partner wears what I call a Farmers Straw Hat with a chin string. It isn't the most attractive hat I've seen but it does the trick. So, last summer I bought a hat similar to the one squirtspop described. It's a semi cowboy style and light weight. Works good.