Best Gun for Deer

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by TX Catman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I think of shootin deer I think of what gun should I use. There are so many guns made especially for deer. About a week ago I saw the biggest deer you can amagine, and at first I thought it was an elk. The rack was 10-12 point wich was small for this deers body! Now this was at night and I couldn't shoot it under the laws of Texas, but I thought what kind of gun should I use for that?

What kind of gun do you like to hunt deer with?

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    probably a .243 or in my opinion the .30/.30 depends on how far you are planning at shooting from, shooting a 12 guage shot gun slug is alot of fun.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I would use a 243 or 308 in the open in the brush a 12 ga. shot gun shooting slugs Iwould never use buckshot for it cripples to many deer:big_smile:

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is no perfect gun but many will be great. The .270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 30-30 etcetera.... How far are you planning on shooting? Do you want to hunt other animals with it? Will you be target shooting any?

I rifle hunt with a savage 110 30-06. Ammo is 150 grain ballistic tips, the deer dont go far with that.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    All I have used is shotgun with slugs, one shot and they are done, no tracking involved, they bleed into their chest cavity and 99% of the time a slug will not pass through the animal. I am going to have my 30-30 with me next year but I will still have my shotgun as a primary weapon. I need to get SudDawg out there in the brush with me!

Aaron Drier

TA2D

6. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanx For yals opionions, and I think I'll use a .243 or a 30/30 etheir one is a great gun.

7. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm not sure about a slug cause I have never shot one, when I think of shotguns I think of birds more then deer.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That question is like asking "what is the best flavor ice cream?", lol. Your going to get multiple answers. When I did hunt I used one of two guns depending on where I was hunting. The first gun was a 25-06 it has plenty of knock down power and distance, if needed. My second for heavy brush and thickets was the trusty 30-30.

9. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Bought a new Rem. 710 30.06 for $317.00 Seems to be well worth the price killed a 6 point with it this year.

10. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I have hunted deer with 30/30; 30/06; 8 MM Mauser; British 303; 7.7 Jap; 45/70; and several other calibers.

You ask what is the best gun for deer...that's easy!

The gun you are the most proficiant with is the best gun.

In my case it's my Remington model 742 BDL 30/06 caliber with a redfield 3x9 low profile widefield scope with Redfield swing-over mounts. I've had it ever since 1969.

Jesse

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    There have probably been more deer killed with a 30-30 rifle than any other gun made. they are excellent for short range and with the new ballistic ammo that is available the longer range accuracy has been vastly improved. The other advantage of the 30-30is that rifles like the '94 Winchester are are inexpensive new and plentiful used. Whatever rifle you chose to use spend some time at the range with it and pick your shot carefully for a clean kill.

12. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    its hard to beat a 30/06 but 270 is a good one to.

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I prefer one that shoots!

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've said it before & I'll say it again, "It's not the arrow....It's the Indian"

It's ALL in shot placement:tounge_out: :tounge_out: :tounge_out:

BTW, I shoot a Marlin 30/30, 170 Gr. Fusions fom Federal. JMHO but I don't need to talk about "The one that got away"

Bottom line is this, a bigger hammer will do you no good if you can't hit the nail.......NUF SAID

Have a very Merry Christmas:wink:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Elliot you said it all in one post and I agree 100%. Thank You.:big_smile: :big_smile:

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 243 but Ive used it since i bought it in 79 so i shoot the heck out of it and im dang good with it thats what happens when you get to know your rifle

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The best gun is one you can shoot.
    If you cant lay behind it all day shooting, you flinch, you, jerk the trigger, pop your head up, cant maintain visual on the target through the shot, then you got too much gun for now atleast.

This is how we work on our shooting and we seldom fire a shot. I learned this from a cousin and it works.
    I'll get in the prone position. Have your shooting partner load your rifle behind you and then bring it to the firing line handing it to you.
    You sight and pull the trigger. The gun may or may not go off because it might not be loaded.
    You'll be surprised at how bad you flinch. I used to flinch bad and worked through it using this method. There may be as little as 1 live round in a 10 shot sequence. By not knowing if its a live round or not lets you see what you are doing when the gun doesn't go off and you can work on it from there. We do this over and over and over.
    Now we start our live target sessions at 350 yards and move farther out instead of the customary 100 yards.

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post Mark. I have used this method and it does work!!

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think my favorite is a 270, but for the last few years all I have hunted with is a Thompson Contender handgun and a 7 TCU in a 14" barrel and a 4 power Simons scope is hard to beat.

20. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hunt with my model 100 308, but I always have my 32 spl for the 2nd deer.The 32 spl was my fathers gun and it has to kill a deer every year or so.My only trouble now is a just have 7 rounds left for the 32 and havent seen a new box of shells in a store in years. smokey