Best Georgia River

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jun 25, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will be moving to the Columbus/Ft Benning area next spring. I know about the chatahoochie river, what other rivers are close by that hold some good cats.

Where is the best place to river fish in western GA/Eastern Al?

2. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i have herd that the cat in that river has a high content of mercury in them . i would come over to the flint at blacksher . that river is a lot cleaner .that is if you wan`t to eat them .
    when you git there look up Reobert Smith . he has two produce stand over there . or he does now sells boiled peanuts also . he can put you on some good fishing at goatrochk and harding . tell hem papasage told you about hem . he does some crappie guide fishing on harding .

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the tip. Where would I find Robert Smith, I know there are a couple of farmers' markets down there.

I mostly release my fish, so mercury would not be problem, but I would like to explore the other rivers also, so I will be checking that out.

I have heard that goatrock is the best lake in the area, but I think it only has a private ramp. I was there one weekend about a year ago and couldn't get in. At least this is the only ramp I was aware of as I was only visiting the area. Thanks again for the tip.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i have never fished over that way, but I'm pretty sure the hootch runs right by columbus. Westpoint isn't too far either, and it is an up and coming lake for big flatheads.....there's actually an article about it in the latest GON. Something else you might want to think about is Alabama. Columbus is probably only about an hour away from the Coosa if you head due west. also like papasage said the flint river is supposed to have big catfish. good luck.........bassmassey

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I like fishing the Hooch in Columbus. I generally fish for sport when I'm down there.
    My 10 day vacation is coming up next week, and I hope to get in some good fishing while I'm in Columbus.
    Westpoint is on my list of places to hit aswell. :wink:

6. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the info. Do you typically fish the area close to downtown or more to the west

7. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    Robert Smith is a avid crappie fisherman but coule probabley put you on some cats . you can find hem on crappie com as falconsmitty .

8. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    some one sent me a PM . i can`t git it ti open for some reason . e mail me @ papasage10@yahoo.com

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Try to open the message again, the site is going through upgrades and some of the funtions have not been cooperating.