Best Flathead catfish rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by P.Bean, Apr 10, 2007.

1. P.Bean

P.Bean New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just wanting some much needed opinions on this one folks. I currently have 3 7' shakespeare catfish series ugly stiks. This are some great rods. Butttttt...I need a good rod that aint goin to set me back a pretty penny but will still haul out up to 40 lbs flatheads. All opinions are welcome. oh yeah, i checked out a daiwa beefstick, and bassproshops have a muskie series graphite series rod and those look enticing. How are these if anybody knows. This length would be preferred at 6-6'6". Thanks..& i dont like fishing with broomsticks either...need a little tip for those delicate casts with live bait...thanks

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I use a 9 ft beefstick m-h action and have had no problems with it. I have realed in countless 30-35lb bighead carp and it does its job just fine. for $15.00 it has already payed for itself in my enjoyment. got my wife a more expensive basspro power plus 8 ft rod and dont like it as much as my 9 ft beefstick. they are pretty decent rods for how inexpensive they

as for the tip,I havnt used any live bait on it yet so I dont know how that will go but it seems fairly soft.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you considered a Quantum Big Cat in a med/hvy. This should work for you and you would have some tip action?:big_smile:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use all hand made long rods when fishing from the bank,but when i go out in the boat,i change my reel onto 8 ft.uglysticks in m/h.most of my fishing is for flatheads with blues and channels coming as bonus.youve already got the uglysticks why not use them.

5. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i use th cabelas king cat spinning rods and as far as i'm concernd they can pull in a 50 pounder cause my uncle caught one here in Kansas City

6. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ugly stick tiger mh 30-60 would be a good choice

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the 7' ugly stik catfish, and the berkely reflex in 7'. either rod is awesome, in my opinion.

8. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois

i love this rod however i lost mine in the lake=[[[

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Josh 1st off welcome to the boc some great info to be found here and a lot fine people

got to say them ugly cats will take a flat up to 40# but for a heaver rod get yourself and ugly stix tiger then get yourself "2007" abu garcia 7000c3 that would be a combo that will take down the very biggest cat

10. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like the 9 ft pro cat from Saint Croix it has all of the tip you need and lets you fight the fish using the whole length of the rod. The poolcue rods work well but I don't like the feel that you lose with them. I have also found that your fishing rod and reel need to fit you like a glove it needs to feel like an extention of your arm. Once you find that combo then look at the price if it is more than you can spend then put it back until you can afford it. I cant tell you how many combos I have bought that I have retired because they were bought in haste or because someone else recommended it to me.

Art

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check out a saltwater whuppin' stick (cabelas) they are fairly cheap and do a good job. Also check out some of the Eagle Claw rods from Catfish Connection. For casting live bait it is much easier with a longer rod to lobe them out there. If you are bank fishing go with a 10-12ft rod.

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    ECAT #4 IF you can find them, if not Jim Moyer "Boss" rods are also pretty good rods.

13. P.Bean

P.Bean New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all the advice and opinions...i will put all of them in consideration...once i find that special rod...it will be mine

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    A lot of people spend alot of money on rods and will tell you anything. I go down to walmart and always buy 7' ugly sticks with reel with some braided line. ive had one for three years and the other for two and I go fishing at least two days a week and never had a problem.

15. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    i have used the ugly cats in spinning and casting models for about three years now, and they are fine rods inded!
    this year i picked up an ugly stick tiger bwc 2201-2 medium action 7', and WOW! what a difference! with the faster tip, accuracy is now pinpoint (something i could never seem to get with the ugly cats).i can also cast large live baits about as far as with my 10 foot rods. the blank (even though it's a 2 piece) is tank tough. the bigger saltwater style grips and slightly forward reel seat (about 2 1/2") seem to improve balance quite a bit as well. not to mention the longer foregrip (about 2 1/2" longer too) really lets you get a grip and hang on!
    this the 7' rod i have been looking for! if you can find one, compare it to your ugly cat side by side and you'll see what i mean. the ugly cat rod is rated 15 - 30# while the tiger is rated at 10 - 50#.

Eric B