best flathead catfish hook for bluegill

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 21, 2009.

best flathead hook, for bluegill

1. Diachi

2. gamma octo circal

3. king kael

4. gamma octo j hook

5. gamma big river

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    king kael, gamma 8/ot, team circal 8/0 ,gamma octo 9/ot , i use all but id like to hear why and why not to use the above for flatheads

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man I'm a big Gamma fan use nothing but the 8/0 circle and always did good.I found a new hook by Gamm called the big river hook that also does good it comes in 10/0 and 12/0 and will hook a small fish also.But last night I ran short on hooks and used a big king kahl from my buddy and the worked realy good they seemed to need a little sharpening from the pack but man they did the job.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Them Gamakatsu river hooks is nice!$2 bucks a pop though?:crazy:

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have switched to all king kahles for big live bait for flathead. I caught fish on the circles too, and wouldn't argue with anyone for using them, but I seem to have better luck on the king kahles. I hook perch through the center of the tail about 1" forward of the tail fin unless I am fishing in heavy current where I lip hook them. Hooking bait here with the circles I have had the point of the ultra sharp gamatsu hooks bury itself back into the bait where it can hook no flathead. You could probably hook bait a little shallower and get by fine with the circles. My other reason is I like to fish wood cover and the big hookset with the kahle gets my line tight and my rod tip up as quick as possible to keep fish from burying me in the logs. All the hooks that you listed are great hooks, but these are my pick for big live flathead bait.

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Matzuo Live Bait Hook 7/0.

Most of the gills I catch are kinda small. I like this hook because of it's short shank, semi-wide gap and long, hard and razor sharp point that is well exposed.

Attached Files:

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think your avatar says in-itself why you like "set-style" hooks and I agree completely!:wink:

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i posted this same topic but forget it, in found out how to make a poll, i have all theese hooks in my bag, i fish with 3 to 6 inch bluegill or rokbass, if i can get them their better ,so, thanks for the replies we will see what wins,so far king kaels but i think the gammas are going to win, ,i voted kaels becouse i never used circals as much, and i freepooled, now im mixing it all up,i cant get into logjams yet but ,ill be triying wen i get a boat

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've got some of those. Were they very sharp? The ones I got weren't very sharp. I just like the 7/0 or 8/0 octopus j-hooks. Always sharp and don't cost a fortune.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yep...I just bought 3 Big river hooks 10/0, and it cost over $6.00. Thats why I use the Eagle Claw King Kahles....$17.00 for a box of 50. Great hook for live baitin Big flatheads. Kahles got my vote! But those big river hooks...got one mean a$$ lookin point!:wink:

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I like the Gamma Octopus' in a close second to the Matzuos. Weird.. all the Matzuos I've bought are sharper than any Gammakatsu.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i want to get rid of that post, below, its the same thing, but i couldent set up a pool then,ill get the sarg to get rid of it

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Actually, I would have voted for a regular kahle, but close enough. 4/0 and 5/0 work fine for small to medium sunfish. Don't need to go up to 6/0 except for the real trophy bull brim.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems like circals are not winning for flatheads,lets see how it turns out

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i don't use nothing but eagle claw 8/0 baitholder ( j ) hooks! have had better luck with them than any! shane

15. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    gama 8/o is about all i use when looking for bigger fish. for smaller ones i own size alittle, but still use gamas. i even use gama worm hooks for ba$$ and wide gap finess for wally-eyes.

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    This is going to be a good poll - it will be interesting to see how this one will turn out. :0a23:
    :wink:

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The only hooks I have used for hooking bluegills are circle hooks. This was done on jugs too. Over 60 % hook success rate, so I wont say anything bad about circles. Guess I will have to try these big river hooks i am hearing about. Where do I get them? SGT Shorey out

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they are 6 bucks for three , its not worth it if your not loaded,but they are mean, gamma big river you can get them anwere at a bait shop

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    gama octo circles allday everyday