Best Flathead Catfish Fishing Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Blacky, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have decided to get a catfish specific rods.

I have done a lot of looking around the net.

For targeting big flatheads, which rods to you prefer?

Quantum Big Cat

Cabela's King KAt

Bass Pro Cat Maxx

White Ugly Stick Catfish

I looking for 7 and a halt ft and matching it wioth my PENN 525 MAG reel.

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have two of the Bass Pro Cat Maxx rods and I love them. I do not use them all that often, only because I prefer to use lighter tackle, and more importantly smaller tackle for where I fish.

I fish primarily on the River, and with all the trees, weeds, and brush along the bank, it is just to hard to cast the longer, heavier rods without banging them against a tree, or hangin up in a tree or bush.

I use 6.5' Rhino rods, with Zebco 808 reels and 20# test. These rods are pretty much unbreakable, with plenty of backbone. The Zebco 808 reels will handle pretty much anything. The only problems I ever run into is once in a while a fish will pull me into a log, and I don't quite have the power to stop him, but that very seldom happens. It is a lot more sporting and fun to have to play a fish, rather than skip him across the water with a pole that will not even bend! :big_smile:

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    all of those are decent rods. i would say the ugly stick may have a little edge(just my opinion). i also have a catfish stix rod that i got really cheap. it seems to be a decent rod.

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use the Ugly Stick rods and absolutely love them. The Tigers are the best.

5. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I use the Quantum Big Cat rod and also the Cat Maxx from Bass Pro. Both are plenty adequate although some on this board have had a problem or two with the Quantum. Have not used the Shakespeare cat rod but for a few bucks more the Tiger is just a darn good rod. My opinion only, don't waste your money on the Cabela's King Cat, looks pretty but for me just didn't cut the mustard for flatheads.

From your list you seem to be in a price range for your choices. The ultimate would be a custom rod from Gator. Little bit more money though, but worth it as I have not seen a negative word about his work, only praise. Hope to get mine from him any day now.

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i have had king kats and had problems with the eyelet fraying my line i now have a 9ft eagle claw and a 11ft with shimano 6500 bait runners and im happy with them so far.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    If your looking for some better rods look at St.Croix, 7'6" or 8'. Pete Manins Muskyrods, the 7'4 or 7'6". The Jim Moyer Bossrod is also pretty good 7'6".

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Match the lure weight of the rod to the weights & baits you will be using. If river fishing in current with a 4 oz sinker and a 8 inch Gill a lite rod would not preform well casting.

When fighting and landing a nice Flathead one would give up some control when using too lite of a rod.

A longer butt on the rod helps with the leverage that you can place on the fish vs a rod with a short butt.

OPINION

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks for the response.

I currently use St. Croix musky rods for flatheads but just thought it would be cool to get a catfish specific rod.

If any knows of a place i can get custon made catfish rods please let me know.

I am willing to spend around $150.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.