Best Flathead Catfish Fishing Hook?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 18, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this i directed to flatheads and live bait only, i want this to be a poll, circals or king kaels, flathead only, no blues channels, i wanted to make a very clear post so we can get the scoop on what gets a better hookup ratio and what stayes on better so this is a poll for all

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Slikk if you want it to be a poll then set it up as one. That might help in your research to find the best hook. Or you could just use gamaktsus as they are the best hook.

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Gammas' all the way! I've had fish in heavy cover that straighten king kahles like a hair pin. I do use them sometimes though, on flats at night, or with floats.:wink:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Neither! I use J hooks 7/0 thru 10/0.Mustad 92671,s,reasonably priced and you better hook it to your bumper to straighten it!:wink:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok, i dont have a clue how to make a poll,lol but this is one, for live bait and flatheads, so far gammas winning, as far as a king kael strating out thats stange, i pulled in a 55 no hook bend,but it happens, but im on a flat point, so i run my drag looser,, im using 3 hooks kings gama and team circals , i know gamma 8 gets the overall vote but, this is flathead live bait specific

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    8/0 gamma octopus offset circles all the way when i'm using livebait(3-8 inch) sunnies for flatheads

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea its war between them and king kaels, john young says kaels for flathead gammas for blues, he said they come off during the fight,but then some say you miss more strikes wfreespooling kaels and they bend, ill use both, i got team circals to, there not offset and that wories me

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    GAMMA'S OR TEAM CATFISH DOUBLE ACTION HOOKS ARE THE BEST IN MY OPINION.

9. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Gama 8/0 Octopus Circles. :wink:

10. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
  11. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    eagle claws 8/0 baitholder j hooks work best for me!! the most expinsive don't always work the best! about $16.00 per 100, shane

12. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I like the Matzuo Sickle Hooks.

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    4/0 or 5/0 kahle

Been working great for me with medium to large bluegills and redbreast for a few years. The larger "king" kahles are to big for the regular brim, save 6/0 only for a real bull bluegill...

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    7/0 to 9/0 gamma octopus hooks work the best for me. I've never had a good hook up ratio on circles for flats, just don't seem to work for me. That and I like to set the hook:wink:

16. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shane if you shop around you can get Gamas on the cheap by the hundreds too! Thats the way i buy them.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For fishing Live Bluegills for flatheads.....its hard to beat a King Kahle 9/0 or 10/0. I have caught flatheads up to 67 lbs and the hook never showed any signs of bending....they are very strong hooks in the larger sizes. I've also just bought some Big River hooks in 10/0 and want to try them out as well. Nasty looking point on them dudes.:crazy:

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like those big river hooks too! at two bucks a pop I,m afraid to throw em as tight to cover as I should though!:wink:

19. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Ain't it cool? How this sport can have so many variables and methods used to participate. There's no one best way and everyone ends up liking what they find works for them. It's like the person who needs a packed tackle bag or box and the person with him has a plastic bag or bucket to haul his stuff. I'd really like to add to the flat hook used list but I have yet to be able to even try for a flat. But, I'm paying attention and hopefully that will give me a bit of a head start once I can fish again.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    X2, ALSO .....#9's STRONGEST AND SHARPEST HOOK out of the pak I know of...

Oh I know of plenty of sharp hooks, But as soon as you run-em through a few 3/4" jaw bones and lips the tip bends and rolls over,dulls them out just to have you file them sharp making them just the more thinner= more bending etc...

I've seen a #7 eagle claw shank bent almost completly to a 45% on a hookset that pulled free after a couple minutes, my son about passed out:crazy: no telling how big that fish was..I don't need nothing like that..:wink:

I stick with what I trust and have used without failure for yrs. I don't even sharpen my hooks and they can be on my rod for 1-2 seasons.if I don't break off.I just tie the same hook on when respooling line.

Just MHO about this hook; GAMAKATSU OCTOPUS is #1.:wink: