Best flathead catfish bait??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JimF, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Well lets hear it! I will tell you mine if you tell me yours. First I would have to say shad & the green sunfish ( some of ya call it a rock bass or a big mouth bluegill) for smaller ones and a few larger ones ( over 20lbs). But what about the big boys( over 30lbs)? I like to use big baits; Carp 12" to 16", creek chubs 10" plus, crappie, In IL they must be over 9" to legal, sucker10" plus and bullhead over 4". Well tell me yours.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    look at my avatar. WHITE BASS!

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    do they have to be a certain lenth? In IL game fish have a size limit. wether you eat them or use them for bait its the same size limit.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    y'know i really dont know, im gonna have to look into it. we always catch them on site and put them straight on the hook, and extras on a stringer. im gonna have to start paying attention to the laws more often before i get my butt in trouble:D

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Dink, in ohio, I'm pretty sure if the bait is caught by leagal means and meets the lenght requirements to be kept, then there legal.

6. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    hmm, lets see here. bream, shad, suckers, chubs and goldfish seem to get the job done. the menu seems to vary from one outting to another. i think those flatties like to have options, so i try my best to give into their aquired tastes.

7. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    When I was a kid and fished in the Ohio, nothing could beat live shad from 5-10" long. Problem is I'd catch the shad and only had a bucket to keep them in and they'd die quick. I'd walk along the bank and watch for schools near the edge, and sometimes I'd hit the motherload and fill a whole 5 gal bucket and fish for two days straight. I'd fish the shad only about 15 feet from the bank right where the first drop was and I could catch channels and flats til my arms couldn't take it no more. :p

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Jim, I like the ol' rock bass too. Regular old bluegill work fine as well.. What part of Il are you from, we might be close enough to fish some time !

9. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Any perch, bluegill, goggle eye, sunfish or hybrid works great for flatties at out place on Lake Livingston fishing the trinity river cut.

Goldfish and carp have never worked for us over the past 10 years. Setting traps in the shallow coves or canepole fishing with worms to catch these native baits works best.

10. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    When we go exclusivley for Flat heads we use live bait caught from the area were we are fishing "bream, sun perch, etc, etc". Last year we were also having a lot of success on cut bait for flatties also.

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What works the best for me is chubs and green sunfish.

12. moe

moe New Member

State:
    nc
    Bream and goldfish.

moe

13. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    If Its Last Minute And I Don't Have Much Time To Run Down To The Pond And Catch My Bait ( Green Sunfish And Bluegill ), I'll Buy A Dozen Goldfish. Sometimes The Baitshop Will Have Some Small Carp And Freshly Caught Shad, If I'm Lucky. Those Would Be My Favorite Baits. If I'm Already Fishing And I'm Close To Being Out Of Bait, I Catch Some Small White Bass Like Dink Said, Or Those Anoying Little White Perch. They Are Fiesty Little Suckers Too!

14. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    My best and favorite baits for big cats is carp over 10", Black Perch at least 6", and bull head over 7".

15. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    I think here in central Va, its hard to beat any fish thats 5" to 6 inches long. It does not matter what it is as long as you are fishing where the fish are. Chubbs, smallmouth, largemouth, madtoms, bluegills whatever, the important factor is being on the fish!!!!!!!!

16. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish i had the experience to back up my words, but unfortunely i don't.

I hear cut shad is the thing to use, but i've never experienced much luck with it. though, i havn't experienced much luck with anything :(

also, in iowa, they say bullheads are perfect for the big flats.

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The only thing that I have used since I started fishing for flatheads last october, is eels. I use them up to 18" long and have had great success. I sometimes cut the eels in half so they bleed and that will attract all cats, but for the trophy size flatheads I use the whole eel, except for about 1-2" I cut off the tail, so they wont wrap up in the line and also for scent in the water.

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My favorite baits are live creek chubs, but have caught lots of flatties on live bluegills also. Other baits that I have had success on is large goldfish, suckers, cut shad, cut skipjacks and cut mackeral.

19. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i usually use a small or medium sized green sun fish

20. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I would have to say either Green sunfish or big suckers.