Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what people are putting on their whisker seeker medium heavy rods. Been interested in the Abu Garcia c4 6600 or the okuma citrix 364. I need it left handed. Wanted something smaller(fish in alot of creek mouths with tight cover so its hard to cast baitcasters sometimes), but powerful 15 lbs of drag and up. Was even thinking of a fathom but not sure if it would be too big.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,618 Posts
Both the Fathom 12 or 15 would go very well. The 6600 would also. Don't forget about the new series of Penn Squalls. I have a couple of them in the 15 size that are just about the same size of the 6500/6600, they have 22lb drag and would save about $50 compared to the Fathom.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
All the reels talked about would do the job and be a smaller sized reel. If you need more drag, the Fathom 12 or 15 would be a good choice. If the dollar amount is an issue, the Abu 6501c3 might be best. There is nothing wrong with the thumb bar crossing the back of the spool like on the 6600c4 but I prefer the more traditional thumb button on the side cover. Makes it easier to thumb the spool when needed and fewer working parts. I prefer smaller reels also but be sure to look at line capacity to make sure it meets your needs. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the Fathom 12 or 15 would go very well. The 6600 would also. Don't forget about the new series of Penn Squalls. I have a couple of them in the 15 size that are just about the same size of the 6500/6600, they have 22lb drag and would save about $50 compared to the Fathom.
I would go with a penn squall, I have the older 20lw model and love it, but they dont offer the 15 in left handed it seems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the reels talked about would do the job and be a smaller sized reel. If you need more drag, the Fathom 12 or 15 would be a good choice. If the dollar amount is an issue, the Abu 6501c3 might be best. There is nothing wrong with the thumb bar crossing the back of the spool like on the 6600c4 but I prefer the more traditional thumb button on the side cover. Makes it easier to thumb the spool when needed and fewer working parts. I prefer smaller reels also but be sure to look at line capacity to make sure it meets your needs. Good luck.
I think I am going to end up going with a Fathom. I have the first penn squall and love it but its not offered in left handed in the smaller versions like the Fathom is. And thanks for the info on the c4, it seems like alot of people do not like the thumb bar. The fathom should do the trick and last forever though. Thanks again!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think question's like this always get answer's that are all over the table! problem is in defining "best". What is best is generally nothing more than a personal opinion! What you should be looking for is what is best for you and that a pretty tight call.

I've never used a medium heavy heavy rod. But at this point there's a couple I'd try. #1 would be my ABU 6500, maybe a 7000 but have never even seen one! #2 would be my Kastking Rover 40, maybe the Rover 50 but again have never seen one. I think anyone could make a good argument for some type Penn. I've had a number and don't think I've ever seen a bad one! Shoot even have a very old 109 right now but have never used it!

Of the reels I have, I really like my ABU's. have a few and all over 25 yrs old and work very well. Have a Daiwa Millionaire and really like it also but short on experience with it. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work either! Have a couple Ocuma's and I'm impressed with them but just to long experience with my ABU's and while I might call them best it's no indication you would! You gotta get out and look at and feel what's there them make the decision on your own.

There's a similarity between wives and fishing and hunting equipment, best is in the eye of the beholder! Go look at setups you think you might like. In fact I got my Kastking Rover 40 Without ever having seen one. But I'm pretty rod and reel poor and the kastking was pretty inexpensive and some guy was trashing it so I decided to find out for myself what it was like. Well brand new under $50 and I'd get another in a heart beat. You might find the same with some other brand, go for it!

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,579 Posts
I have a Penn Squall II 15 lw and I like it a lot. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Penn doesn't offer a left hand retrieve model. They do have left hand in the other models from 20 up. Go figure?
BTW, specs on the 15lw list max drag at 33 lbs.

·
Registered
Ever changing at the moment! I’m quickly becoming a TWC and whisker seeker fan though.
31 Posts
I have the whisker seeker FMJ 7 1/2 foot medium heavy rod rod and I absolutely love the abu 6600 c4 on it. That said I’m currently running a 6500 c3 on it BUT I don’t think it’s fair because I bought my c4 used and have had constant problems with it (think I fixed it finally) however I will say that rod paired with a 6600 c4 is the smoothest best feeling set up I’ve ever owned!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts