best fishing rod?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 93catfisherman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. 93catfisherman

93catfisherman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hello there.
    I love going after channels, i'm looking in to getting a new rod.
    What do you recommend for say up to 15 pound channels?
    Any input is appreciated. :roll_eyes:

2. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    I would have to say the ugly stik catfish rod MH 7ft one piece is the way to go.IMO it does very well.

3. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    oh yeah it is a pretty good buy also for only 29.95 at walmart they come with warranty to they are suppose to stand up to about anything. Hope this helps. its a great product for the money and its durability.

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    cabelas king kat combo 20 bucks :wink:can't go wrong

5. 93catfisherman

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks, but we don't have any cabelas around here. :sad2:

6. 93catfisherman

State:
    Oklahoma
    i own a couple ultralight ugly stiks. I've been wondering if the other actions of those rods are any good.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'd say get an ugly stick bws 1102 8
    8ft 2pc rated for 1-6oz and retails for 40-50 dollars.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the catmaxx rods myself from bass pro, im also fond of the american spirit nite sticks there great for the money.You can get them online at catfish connection.

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I'd recommend the Berkley Glowstick in Medium Heavy action. I own 2 and have caught cats from a half pound up to 28 pounds on them. Very versatile rod and it has a glowing feature when you put a few AA batteries in the handle for night fishing. Got mine for $30-35, very good all purpose rods.

Also the Bass Pro PowerPlus rods are super too. $24.99

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You don't say anything about how or where you fish, or whether you prefer spinning, casting, or spincast reels.

Fishing from a boat and fishing from the bank are two very different animals, and require different approaches to tackle.

In any case, 15# really isn't that big. Don't fall for the idea that you need a big, heavy action stick, because in all but a few, specialized instances, you don't, and they will suck all of the fight and fun out of the smaller, 2-7# fish that will make up the bulk of your catch.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    this is very good, and correct advice and I'm getting dave some rep cause the point is that lots of people can give advice of the toughest baddest rods they own... but many of those choices will be more than neccesary. On the other hand, telling you to buy the CHEAPEST outfit isn't quite right either; espacially if your shore bound on some larger waterway, where you are making long range casts with cutbait, livers, stinkbait, etc.

so my thoughts are:
    1. first, if you have good bass equiptment, or a HEAVY trout spinning outfit; you may not need a new rod at all.

2. second; you need less in a boat, more if your casting into big waterways.

3. Length really helps espacially on rivers; 7'+.

4. If you do or could occasionally the bigger flats/blues; tough tackle is Much More important

5. If this is pond fishing; go very light and enjoy the fight. a 10# cat in a small pond can be caught with nearly the lightest equiptment.

6. buy expensive, quality, and/or Heavy setups like the custom rods,etc if you want to eventually go after the big boys.

7. cabelas and basspro might not be your cheapest or best options, but you know you won't get ripped off. there are a few vendors that supply catfish. I'm sure if your interested some of the better ones is on the tip of someones keyboard. you might do what I did, which is find what you like online, price it and see if your local tackle shop can beat the price (cuz, there's shipping).

Hope it helps.

13. 93catfisherman

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish from the bank almost exclusively. rarely in a boat.
    I prefer spincasting and spinning reels.

i know it's not. i enjoy going after channels in this range mostly. I'm not one for going for the big blues and flats. i noodle for flats:roll_eyes:.

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    since you didn't give a spending limit.

KING CAT SUPREME 10ft SPINNING, H retails for less than 40dollars and can cast up to 5oz.

15. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    One with a really big fish on the other end:smile2::smile2:

16. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    even walmart and kmart are coming up with some decent little medium heavy combos lately for 40 bucks or less:wink:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was in Wal-Mart today and they had an Ugly Stick med weight rod that would be great for that size fish IMO.

18. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    rarely do I find major fault with the ROD on such outfits, but usually the reel is Not durable and is not much of a spinning reel.

now mind you, I own two walmart specials so they'll do the trick. (sometimes you can just afford no better)
    but my own feeling is that if you've got a good branded rod with some length and sensitivity the bulk of the money ought to go in the Reel!

I often wonder if the KingKat combo (and other low cost combos from basspro/cabelas) has a junky reel as well....

19. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Since we're talking names. I have a med weight ugly stik and it is good. IMHO the Ugly stik Lite is better yet. (although I think a plain ugly stick is tougher)

while an ugly stik is a study eglass rod; they add some graphite to make the ugly stik Lite. This is nice if your get that subtle pick up that occasionally channels do; you can barely feel it without a sensitive rod.

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Cabela's Predator rods are on sale as we speak...11', 2 piece, light, and sensitive...$59.99.

Doug Stange turned me on to these rods years ago, and as usual, he was right on the money.