BEST FISHING ROD PERIOD?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Branj796, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a question for the seroius catfisherman! I fish an average of atleast three times week and need a rod that can take some abuse. What is the best catfishing rod for drfiting in lakes, and what is the best catfishing rod for fishing the Missouri and Mississippi river?

I always used uglies but this past year broke one in a tournament while fighting a 20 pd. fish in cover. This cost me hundreds of dollars. The manufacturer told me tough and to send in my $9 and rod for fixing. This is not acceptable. I refuse to have this happen to me again. Please share your knowledge on this subject. I am young and committed. A rod for me is an investment.

Thanks

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I personaly like catmax rods m/h for drifting , heavy action for current the weak point is the guides , cut them off and put on stainless and rewraped they made great rods ,never have broke any

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think the best plan of action would be to not abuse the rods. It don't matter which brand you buy, if you abuse them, they will break.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Exactly as Awshucks said.I have 1 Ugly Stick in particular that is 14 yrs old and I catch 15-20 lb carp on it all the time and I mean ALL the time.Not to mention turtles and flatheads.

I also have a Shakespeare Alpha rod my mother bought me for Christmas when in 1986 I still use that rod every trip and have landed numerous large flatheads and jonboats (gotta lov floodwaters) with it.

Even with 500 dollar rods you will sooner or later get a bad one.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Catfish safari rods. I don't think there is anyway you could break one. I have seen and done this to people. Make them hold the rod then bend it down to the floor and then take the tip back towards them. You will clear an isle of people real fast.

7. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Have to agree with Jerry60k. I have 2 Ugly MH Cats Rods one spinning one casting. Both Rods were under $100 and I love them, I've had a $200 ALL Star Rod break on me with next to no torque on it. Where did you rod snap tip?..or along the backbone?..what type of line were you using?

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just ordered a catfish safari river rod. I hope they are as good as everyone says. All rods no matter how much they cost will break. Thats a part of fishing. Rods can be a investment unless you are like me. Me personally, I buy way to many fishing rods so I never get a chance to use them more than 1 year. I know, it is a sickness. So far this year I have bout a shakespeare tiger, catfish safari river rod, and a ugly. From what everyone else has said its either the rod shop or catfish safari.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    One of the most durable rods here is the Tica UEHA that will last years.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have seen, but haven't had the pleasure of using, the catfish safari rods and the surge elite rods. IMHO, my next rod will be one of each and then I will decide on which one to go with.

Right now I use the bass pro cat maxx's and have never had a problem yet, and I know I abuse my rods! :smile2:

The thing I like about the surge elites are the stainless eyelets and the stainless reel seat. It's one tough rod! but like Josh told you, the catfish safari rods are just as tough!! I am going to have to buy one of each!!!:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

11. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Jake contact Steve Brown at Catfish Safari he has a rod for each type of fishing. They are super tough.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well my concensus is pretty much the same as everyone elses. I dont care if you have a $20.00 rod or a $200.00 rod, if you abuse it, it will break. Abuse dont have to be malicious, so much as whacking a rod up against a sharp corner like a table edge can start a suface fracture, from there on its time is limited. A quality built rod is what is needed (quality dont have to cost $200.00 either), a good $60.00 UglyStik Tiger if cared for will last alot of years and haul in about anything we have in our rivers and lakes. Catfish Safari rods are reasonable for a handmade rod, and plenty nice. Black&Blue Custom rods are another good choice, priced a bit higher than the Safari's, but I have heard good things about them too. All in all, you will probably find more people fishing with some variation of the UglyStik (and happy with them) than you will find with a custom rod. Its your $, aint nothin wrong with a custom, just dont expect any rod to be bullit proof, or fool proof. Enuff said.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i could afford them G Loomis makes some really nice rods. I love my 7 foot med/hvy St. Croix and they don't cost $300 like loomis.

14. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    The rod broke on the strongest part just folded over. You may have luck with the older rods but I am looking for something with a little more backbone. I have had two buddies have the same problems as me. I tournament fish and to tell you the truth after seeing the safari and surge rods the uglies are terrible. You go catch a 60 pd. blues in 50 ft. of water on it and I will change my mind. I have caught thousands of fish (1-25 pd.) on uglies as well but the first time it was ever truly tested it failed. I was not even using braid just 40 pd. mono. It may work for the average weekend warrior that catches eaters but I am fishing for trophy fish.

Thanks for sharing your information I have been researching this subject for a long time and all the information is useful. We may not all agree but thats what make us all successful in different ways.

15. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a newer ugly stick that broke. Maybe it is just me but I look at a tiger and then I look at the safari and surge rods at a trade show and the tiger just looks out of place. The safari and surge rods are hands down better rods than uglies. Uglies may work for some of you guys which I ahve no problem with but I have had a bad experience and am looking for something with a little more quality. The price difference is very small between these rods and the reason I started this thread was to find an alternative.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Shakespeare UglyCat rods 8'0 MH action is rod you wanna use and abuse. The go around $35 each.

17. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I use Ugly Stik Tigers and I absolutely love them. My biggest fish is 44lbs in current, and it handled it no problem. I know of others who have caught much bigger catfish on Tigers and they handled like a champ. I don't blame you though for your thoughts, if I had a rod fail on me the first time it was put to the test then I too would never buy another one of those rods either. It's a shame it happened when using a Tiger b/c I know they're great rods, but I completely understand where you're coming from and why you're looking for another rod.

18. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    jake im not sure what your using for a reel but if you and your buddies are breaking that many uglies i gotta think your drag may be set way to tight for a big fish. you can only "horse" a big fish so much and if your drag dont give something else is gonna. what kinda line and what test weight are you using?

19. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know what they are using for reels or line but I use 30 to 40 pd test. I really dont set my drag to tight. I just got it tight enough to set the hook without giving up to much line. THis pole broke immediately. It may have just been damaged over the last couple years. Thats really not the point. I know about uglies I have used them for years. I just see the potential in getting higher quality rods. Like I said this wasnt meant to get all you ugly stick guys all fired up. I have been with you for years. I just want to find something better because it does get better. I am trying to UPGRADE. If you have any experience with any other rods please let me know.

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would really hope that the line would break before the rod! He said he was using 40 pound test mono not 150 pound test braid. I would say the rod was either a bad rod or the uglies are just ugly. I'm not hard but I'm also not nice with my equipment. I use them to fish not look at. If they can not handle being in a boat 2-4 times a week then there no good to me. I started using catfish safari rods last fall and will continue to do so. I want to see what it would take for one of these rods to break. I have bent them over way farther then any fish will.