Best Fishing Rigs for catching Gar Fish - Gar Fishing Techniques

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by TOPS, Nov 21, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    What type of rigs would a fisherman use to catch a gar? I have heard a nylon rope willl catch a gar! :confused:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Verlon, I've never done it, but have talked with a couple of guys that use a short piece of white nylon rope, frayed up. The gar's teeth get tangled in the rope, don't even need a hook. I guess you would need enough weight to cast with, though.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tommy, thanks for the info,I thought we had to go into the cowboy mode and lasso him! :D :D

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Two ways I know how to catch them. Take a key chain loop and double over a piece of nylon rope though it and tie it around the two pieces of rope near the key chain loop. Yopu can cast it then and just reel in with small jerks and they will get it. The other way I know how to fish for them is to bowfish them. that way is more fun. ;)

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just use a small jig with a white curly tail grub..I know alot of people who bowhunt for them also.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I just have to ask,Why would you want to catch gars?

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not fish for gar but evendently someone does because it a gar fishing section on the B.O.C. I just wanted to know how to catch them. :D

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Swampy, if it swims, you can bet someone, somewhere will try to catch it!LOL
    Seriously, there are a few people in my area that fish for them for the sport. A lot of folks fish for barracuda in the ocean; I guess maybe this is the poor man's barracuda. :D

9. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    sombody told me that they actuly have tasty white meat under all that ugly just cut a strip of bones out kinda like a walleye but i haven't tried it yet

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I like catching them myself. They fight good and most of the time I'm catfishing when I catch them anyways.

11. fourwglenn

fourwglenn New Member

State:
    Ocala,Fla.
    A Seminole indian buddy of mine that I used to rodeo with showed me how good Gar is . His wife and kids would net em in gator holes in the dry season. Their a pain to clean but once you get the back split open she would take the meat from the back and slice it in chunks, season, bread and fry. It was good.
    Glenn

12. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    kinda like the back straps on a deer? i will have to try that ,i like to gig them wile running bank-poles in the creek

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Take a steel leader, A top water bait. And a piece of rope aobut 6" long. Tie the rope where the back hooks would be. And cast out. Let them grab the rope and hold on. :cool:
    Belive it or not. Gar are fun to catch, And will give you a good fight. Will also jump and try to break the line with there body. :)
    PEte

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I usually use a slip-bobber rig with a live fish like a bream, or crappie, etc.

and this is how I do it........

1. try to get the biggest bobber you can, i recommend a baseball bobber, they are usually eithier red or yellow and are the size and shape of a baseball. Or you can use one of those saltwater "cigar" bobbers.

2. you just put the line through the hole on the bobber, then under the bobber you should use a egg weight, the same kind you use on a carolina rig. I recomend 2-3 ounces.

3. once you have the bobber and weight on the line you need to tie your hook, with leader and swivel on it.
    your leader should be from 18-24 + inches long. and should be at least 80 lb test. (mono)

4. if your fishing in alot of current try to keep your line off the water, this will increase your hook setting capabilities.

5. Tie a rubber-band or bobber-stop on your line at the depth you want you bait to be at.

6. this also works great for catfish.

7. good luck fishing, and have fun :)

15. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I've used nylon rope alot and it is the best method in my opinion, and I catch a lot of gar. All you need is some nylon twine and double it over till its big round as your thumb cut one end and fray as much as you can and then tie up the front end and put a swivel on it. Just throw it out and twitch it around, and once you catch one just rip it out and do it again!

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've heard of folk's eating them all my life,but never tried them myself.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch most of my gar while I am white bass fishing in the spring, I dont target them..I hardly ever hook them while catfishing because the hooks I use are to big.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's more common here in my part of the state to catch 40# flatheads than a gar, so we dont have many of them. If I wasnt addicited to cats now, after fishing w/ flatunter I'd be one of those guys that fish for gar as a sport. I think they are a neat fish & they have a ton of history. Yes I know I will be blackballed from the BOC & none will ever speak to me. :p I use circle hooks & have never actually brought one in yet. I will admit when fishing for flatheads those "Gar Runs" are aggravating!

I've heard that people will crush bones & all up & make "Gar Balls" to eat. I'v heard they are good, but I'm not sure I want to try them.

19. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I used to gar fish with live bass minnows all the time. They do put up a decent fight as well.

20. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    a buddy of mine taught me how to make a plug for gar out of nylon rope. It seems to work well. Any of Ya'll make homeade plugs