BEST FISHING REELS FOR CATFISHING

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by 1bluesman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. 1bluesman

1bluesman Member

State:
    South Carolina,
    WHAT is the best reel for catfishing .im trying to convert some of my salt water stuff . But i want to get 8 combos for my boat thanks also what lb. test is everyone useing i tried some of my striper rods but 16lb test just doesnt seem big enough thanks !

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Rob! Welcome to the BOC! First of all, you will be getting alot of mixed opinions on reels and rods. I love the Abu Garcia line of reels. I own a 6000, 6500 and 7000 c reel(s). For rods I own a custom made Black and Blue, Berkley CatMaxx and a Berkley ECat rod(s). I prefer rods in the 7-8 foot range. For line I love the Power Pro braided and Berkley Big Game mono. For mono, I usually opt for 14-20 lb. test line. I use 16 test diameter Power Pro with a break strength of 65lb. Good Stuff!! It all depends on your situation. Do you fish heavy cover or open water? Bank fish or boat fish? Make long casts or short to moderate range casts. These are some of many considerations you have to condsider on making equipment choices. But the best advice I can give you, is to keep it simple. Line, weights, hooks, bait. You can get by with 3 or more rods and reels for different applications and tackle catfish all over America!!

Good luck and read some of the advice by the other members give!! It's all good!!

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome bobby i like the salt water rods myself i fish the sippi river a lot so strong rods is what it takes for me if you are fishing lakes you might want to lighten up a bit reels cant go wrong with ABU or penn but ABU is my fave may not be yours line im using 80lb spider wire on the river 25lb mono berkly big game green and sufix seage tangerrin for lake fishing i do like the bright color line its easyer for my old eyes to see hope this helps

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bobby Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Visit a sporting good store and get a feel for what you are wanting.:0a25::0a23:

5. 1bluesman

1bluesman Member

State:
    South Carolina,
    Is the spider wire ever breakable ?

6. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Abu garcia 6500 or bigger bro.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use th Abus 6500c and 7000c. My rods are from 6' to 14' depending on where I fish. I use 25 lb mono.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sure is! Personally I don't like Spiderwire line. My first experience with this line was terrible. I never knew mono backing had to be used before spooling braided line onto the reel spool. The line slip like crazy and had major backlash problems. Knot slippage was an issue too. Special knots have to be used for strength when using Spiderwire. I used my normal knots, like the improved clinch knot. When casting doll flies, the knot would break, and the doll flies would go sailing away!! I found Fireline line to be the best for knot strength. Great stuff. For catfishing, I opt to use Power Pro line. It casts great, has awesome knot strength and lays on the reel spool nicely. No memory too unlike mono!!

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Abu Garcia + Power Pro 100# + 60# fluorocarbon leader + Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles = catfishin' SUCCESS!

Bill in SC

10. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bobby, welcome to the BOC from Texas.

11. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bobby welcome I have a shakespeare tidewater tw30 good reel and won't brake the bank at 40.00.. I also love:wink: my abu 7000 but the cost is triple

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    if you use a palomar knot with spiderwire it dont slip or break as for backing you do not have to use mono backing if you put the spiderwire on the reel tight like it needs to be it will never slip iv used spiderwire for years and never had a slipping prob hold the line in a towle and grip it hard wile spooling you will never have a bit of trouble with it

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Depends on many factors imho.. Flatheads, blues, Channels, all three? .. River, Lakes, ponds, creeks? Live bait, stink bait, cut bait? on and on..

I've pulled hundreds of channels, some big flatheads, stripers, and some monster carp out of lakes with regular 17# stren line.. I've had 25 # Big Game cut like soft butter on jagged rocks and fish run off into brush piles and snap me off. .. I've used Baitcasters (my fav), spin cast, and open face reels chasing whiskers on everything from 6' walmart rods to expensive (least for me) 8' rods...

Depending what you got and what your fishing, you may be able to convert some or alot of your stuff right on over to whisker chasing...

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....what lb. test is everyone useing i tried some of my striper rods but 16lb test just doesnt seem big enough thanks !...."

Honestly, you could fish with 16 pound line probably do just fine. All I use is 20 pound Ande mono line and I have never had any problems landing fish. I catch 20, 30, and 40 pound fish regularly and have never had a line break.

Sure, you can use 65#-80# braid, but you are just wasting your money. Heck, why not put 130# braid on?!?!?!?! :smile2::eek:oooh::crazy:

As for reels, Abu Garcia 6500's are all you will ever need. They have plenty of line capacity, they are not too bulky, and they have a clicker if you need it for cerain types of fishing. You can find them used for around $50-$60.

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    DITTO!!! Use any lb.test Power Pro you want.

16. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    ABU 7000 PENN 310'S big game mono! 30#

17. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    abu garcia 6500c3 is the most versatile reel. if you would like more line capacity and a power handle get the abu garcia 7000. the 7000c3 will cast farther. ugly stick tigers are some of the toughest rods. as for line, anything above 50 lb test is very tough, braid or mono. even under that weight is good. just don't hoss the fish. use the drag.