Best fishing reel for the money

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beaneye46, Mar 24, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what would be the best reel for the money. i dont like to spend a lot of money on my gear, but there is some junk out there for cheap. ive tried quite a few diferent brands, and so far i like the shakespear baitrunner alot. i would like to hear some other opinions.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Ambassidor 6500 around here run ya about 60.00 baitcasters with bait clicker and all... thats a SUPER deal. I think this summer when i get my job that will be one thing I upgrade to. I really like them.

3. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    tidewater by shakespeare. If you want your moneys worth.

4. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I AGREE TIDEWATER GREAT REEL NICE PRICE

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeap id go with the tidewater 30L.it holds a ton of line and has a nice loud bait clicker.

6. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah definitly tidewater by shakespear I have one of those that I have had for over 5 years used it every year and it has caught many big fish including my biggest which was over 50 and it is still going. It looks like crap cause of all the use and age paint falling off but the thing works great. For the money you can't go wrong. I have the spinning real and I hate a spinner for catfishing cause it has no clicker so what I do is let the drag off but keep it tight enough so my bait wont take it out. When you get a run that thing is loader than a clicker. Then I grab my pole and line and set the hook holding the line tight against the pole and then tighten the drag while fighting the fish. HEY IT WORKS!!!!!!!

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    shakespear is a little cheaper than garcia. i have a shakespear baitcaster and it does fine. think i gave $39 for it. i have since bought a couple abus, around here they go for $69. good luck with whatever you chose.

8. Gone Catfishing

Gone Catfishing New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The abu baitcasters and also the shakespeare tidewaters are both great reels but they are in two different price ranges. I don't think you can ask "what's the best reel for the money" without giving a price range so that we know what "the money" is in your situation though :)

9. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Well I think you need to decide on a type First,... Spinning Or Baitcast. I like spinning reels., and for the money I bought Silstar baitrunners. On eBay around $30.00. I have caught fish over 30#s. I had no problem with'em. Drag works good, stainless gears. 275yds of 25lbs test, baitrunner works very well. Just my 2 cents.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Baitcasters abu garcia 6000 or 6500, spinning reels Okuma expior baitfeeder..I have a shakespere tidewater spinning reel, it is decent for the money

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Some folks on here would swear by an okuma you can get um cheep. I got a 300 classic for less than $30 a couple seasons ago and it seems to be a sturdy reel and should last. Its the same size as a penn 320 and the drags probally as strong. just not as smooth as an abu or a penn.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    All right I take that back the drag on the okuma classic is quite a bit stronger than my 320 LD dang. I just tightened down the drags on both of them and I was able to pull line out of the 320 but not the okuma. Im impressed I'm no small fry I used to bench around 350lbs back in high school and my arms were shaking trying to get line out pulling on a 6'6" heavy trolling rod. I might have to get another okuma:blink: