Best fishing months of the year to catfish on Illinois rivers

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by xposedguts, Sep 30, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What are the best months of the year to catfish in Illinois rivers?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Right now! until they freeze up, and as soon as it melts away! and the few months inbetween that! :wink:

What part of the Ilini ya located in?

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Like fishnfwl said, rite now is one of the best times to fish for them. They`re feeding well for the winter months to come. Pre-spawn and post spawn are the times i have really good luck in catching them...During spawning season has`nt brought me too much luck.

4. bgmg

bgmg New Member

State:
    illinios
    May and June are great on the Miss in northern illinois, have had good luck with channels in September, this year included. Pretty much find them all summer long too. Haven't done much fishing in the winter.

5. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the info, the reason i ask is because come september im not catching anything. But i catch em all the time during hot summer months. I fish on the Kankakee in Wilmington, IL

6. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Late Oct to November. So get ready.. Be nice to have some rain and fresh water rolling in..

7. FortyPounder

FortyPounder New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My uncle and I have had no luck on several trips to the fox since the flood waters receded.Even a trip to the Rock was unproductive for Flathead. July and August we great!
    Vince I hope your right that they will heat up in the next few weeks..just hope it doesnt get to cold:angry:

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From what I have heard, I dont think it is going to be that bad of a winter. All we get down here in the St louis area is ice storms. You really wonder though.. seems weve been getting nailed in march and april with a 2 month shift from years ago.

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I feel your pain...i havent had any luck also. Seems like the flood scattered the Flatties and channels everywhere. I`ve had a couple of 4-5lbers here and there but nothing to really talk about. I fish mostly Flatties and they are hard to find rite now. The spots that usually produce a couple a night has been dead for the past month or so. How`s Phil doing?

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    This crazy weather we are having, I don't think the flatties have moved into the fall feeding pattern yet, least around here. My main flattie lake water temp still in middle 80's.. Did some Channel fishing today and they were biting very good here on our local lake (Lake Springfield)... Whole shad, cut shad and even got a channel on a 5" Live gill......

The Sangamon river (closet river here) is no more than a creek right now, US Corp Gauges showing it at 2foot at the gauge hehe....

11. FortyPounder

FortyPounder New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Phil is doing ok despite the fact he hasnt landed a decent flatty in a month:smile2: Our usual hot spot is dead also..we have tried different area's of the river to no evail, but im sure we will keep plugging at it as long as the weather allows and the wifes let us go..lol