Best Fishing Canoe?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by veryama1975, Jan 17, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    What's the best & most economical fishing canoe that I can find & where can I find it? I want one that has a motor mount in back & I want one that has those floatation things bolted to the gunwales that make it hard to tip.

P.S. I've tried fishing from a kayak & I didn't like it. It was much too cramped for me. At least with a canoe I can move around a little.

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Just a suggestion, You must have tried a sit inside kayak when you tried one you didn't like. Before you make a final decision please try a sit on top Yak. Way better for fishing in my humble opinion than either a sit inside or a canoe. The biggest advantage is a sit on top yak can be reboarded in deep water without much trouble. Sit insides and canoes both are VERY hard to get back in and if you do manage to reboard the boat is still full of water that must be bailed out. A sit on top kayak is self draining. search the web for kayak fishing" to get much more information. Also go to a local kayak dealer and see if they will let you test ride some boats. I fish from an Ocean Kayak "big game" and can sit side saddle and fish with my legs over the side. It takes a real effort to get the boat to flip me out. By the way , I am 6'2" and 265 so it has to be pretty stable. Do a bunch of research, you will find the one for you... Welcome to Kayak fishing !!!!!

3. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the post but I actually have tried fishing with a sit on top kayak. And I'm sorry but I hated it. Don't get me wrong...I liked the actual kayaking part. It's the trying to fish from one that I didn't like. There wasn't room to put anything in front of me where I could reach it in the kayak and that meant that I had to store everything behind me. I about wrenched my back out trying to twist around to get at the stuff behind me.

I have canoed quite a bit in the past (I went on a 3 week Outward Bound wilderness canoe trip when I was younger) & I am very comfortable in canoes. However, I would like to have one that had a transom so that I could mount a small motor. I would also like one that had the floatation things on the gunwales or maybe I'll just buy some of the clamp on outriggers that they make for canoes.

Basically, I want to end up with a reasonably stable contrivance that will get me to the fish & be roomy enough for me to enjoy myself. I have thought about a flatbottom jon boat but, to get to some of the areas that I need to fish, I have to cross some really shallow water. So, I thought maybe a canoe with a small motor might be better than a small jon because if it got too shallow I could always paddle the canoe.

Another thing that made think I might want a canoe instead of a jon boat is that they are a lot easier to portage:)

What do you think would be best?

Thanks,
    Matt

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Veryama,different strokes for different folks.. You are correct that most of the gear is carried behind you but after a few trips you learn what you actually HAVE to have to fish effectively can be carried up front. Then you can leave the extras in the milk crate. The rods , if carried in flush mounted rod holders behind the seat, can be reached without much of a twist. Anchor, lip gripper if you use one and pliers are carried on the sides of the seat. A plano plastic tackle tray with assorted hooks, sinkers and leaders will fit nicely just in front of the seat. I found out that I was carrying way too much tackle with me most of the time.(of course I'll never tell my wife that) Install a rod holder and fish finder on the center console and you are ready to go.
    From the type of fishing you indicated that you want to do, I believe you would be happier with an Aluminum Jon boat about 12 feet long with a 3 to 5 HP motor.If you get the widest jon you can find in the 12 footer and keep the motor small it probably could be rowed across any shallows that a canoe could float in. Also if the bottom was wadeable you could easily get out of the jon and pull it to deeper water. I fished for a lot of years from a jon just like I described above and loved it. And with the jon you can take a friend with you....Hope this helps !!! Oh, you mentioned outriggers or stabilizers, major pain in the butt !! If you get into a good sized fish you will have a lot of trouble trying to keep from your line from getting hung up on the riggers...

5. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish from an Old Town Discovery 13. It is 42" wide in the middle and 13.6' long. I have never had any problems fishing out of it and as far as holding gear. Not to bad either it has a weight capacity of 900 lbs. The only thing it is lacking is the squared end for the motor so I bought a motor mount for it. I can stand in mine and use my cast net in it. This takes some geting use to but not much. If you are worried about rolling the canoe then look for a wide one. There are so many canoes out there you should be able to find one that works for you.
    Good luck
    JRBB00
    Sorry no pics.

6. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I would suggest a used canoe.

I bought a Grumman 17' aluminum canoe with the flat back from a canoe place here. Some old people couldn't handle the heavy weight and traded it in on some kayaks. I paid $700 plus tax and am very happy with it. It's on permanent loan to my parents right now. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's hard to find a light weight motor for the back with an external tank. If you get some longer gas lines you can put the tank in the front to balance out the weight. Right now I have a trolling motor with wires mounted along the side of the canoe running to the front where I put the battery for weight balance. My favorite part is that it is made from aluminum, which I can fix with just some shears, aluminum, rivets, and a rivet gun. My dad bought a damage canoe trailer and is welding it back up so he can bring the canoe down to the river with his Cub Cadet riding lawn mower.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Matt, Native Watersports make a great line of very stable and efficient kayak/canoe hybrids.

Most small craft can be modified to accept a motor mount, even if they aren't designed that way up front. Flat stern canoes are very ineffecient to paddle, so the modified versions are more capable in both motored and paddled applications.

I'll chime in with Jerry on this one. My experience is that canoes give an illusion of having more accessible up-front storage capacity. Try going solo, then moving forward to retrieve your stuff...about as possible as in a kayak!

The great thing about the fishing kayak SOTs out there today is that their design is about as efficient as it gets while keeping you stable and safe. Canoes don't inherently provide that protection.

8. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have a Discover 17' 4", a Mad River thats 16 and one i bought last summer(forget the Name) thats 18'6" and has a square sturn. I prefer a motor mount that is off to the side of the sturn rather than directly behind the small of your back. We use them in small streams and creeks small rivers and big rivers and in the ocean. I would suggest a back rest also.

Attached Files:

9. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks everybody for the good advice. You've given me something to think about.

That's a nice little flathead Johny Buck! How about the rest of you guys? Anybody else go after flatheads with their canoe or kayak?
    Do the really big ones dump you? With some of the pics of huge flats that I've seen on the BOC it's hard to imagine any kayak or canoe handling it.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 17 ft gruman also,If you can get one...I like my gruman.
    It was given to me and it is beat up from alot of use but every year we take a day or two run somewhere and you can see some beatiful scenery I also use it for ponds lakes and it works well.
    Id suggest befor getting into it find a couple and take them out so you have a idea of what your diong.....because I rarely ever have to drag across a sand bar but a buddy that has a fiberglass is out of his alot:roll_eyes:

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'd like to add my $.02.

If you fish alone, a square stern canoe would make a poor choice, unless you're prepared to put a couple hundred pounds of ballast in the front.

A conventional canoe would serve you better...you sit in the front seat, facing backwards, when solo. The bow becomes the stern, and vice versa. This gives much better weight distribution, although you will still need some weight forward. This, by the way, is why God made ice chests.

In a similar vein, a side-mounted motor gets the weight of the motor to a spot where it's not such a liability.

One more point, and I'll shut up.

Those molded seats that fit your butt? They only fit when facing "forward". Avoid them. They are the Devil's work.

12. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Matt I have a 17' Browning aluminum you can stand up in (not recommended) real slow canoe, will carry a ton of gear. I also have a 17' glass don't remember name that will dump you looking over the side if your not careful, real fast canoe. We use to run an old mitemite gas motor mounted on the side worked swell It held about a gallon of gas in the top would last all day. Most states you have to license the boat if you run a motor. I can easily load either boat on the top of vehicle, but have trouble carrying it on my shoulders now. I made a simple little cart of two wheels w/straps to fit under the upright canoe once on the ground, wheel it like a wheel barrel, works great. Cabelas has a professional one with bicycle tires.
    Luck

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I have a 15' canoe with molded seats and built in rod holders i have had my best luck with it going down the river holds a lot of gear plus me and my g.f
    i will say that in large deep water it seems more tippy then when in a river but i think some of that is in my head

14. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hey Matt try a Radison I have a 14' that I bought at a dealer in Jackson Mi.15 yrs. ago and it is still going strong.I cant remember the name of the dealer but it will be on the www.I would think.The canoe is VERY light weight so you will have no problem getting it to and from the water by yourself like a glass or heavy gauge aluminum boat. I use a trolling motor on mine,the boat has a bracket to mount it on the side that I feel is easy to use rather than reaching behind you put the batt. in the bow and use some jumper cables to run the juice back to the motor.Good luck with whatever you buy,oh I forgot to add that it is pretty wide and a little more stable than some others I have been in.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I bought a secondhand old Grumman 17'x36" "Whitewater Canoe".It had a strong button keel and extra-thick aluminum and X-tra ribs.117 lbs.if I remember right.Great as it was good for walking over logs without getting out of the boat.I poled it in the shallows of the Okefenokee Swamp.I ran a 2 hp.Mariner on a side mount at about 1/3 throttle.Great on gas.My son is now using it.30+ years old.Kept outside.Just as good now as it was new.It got dents & scratches.Has not been made in many years.Many sold.Many still around.I have a old Grumman 8 ft.WW2 dingy made like the canoe.They dropped them out of aircraft to folk in the war.Still in great shape with dents and scratches that would have destroyed other craft.

I also have a newer fiberglass "Indian river Otter".12'x39" 600 lb.cap.Sq.stern,flat bottom with inverted U bottom to make the flat bottom track.Good canoe.Not in the quality of the old Grummans but well worth the money.Fl.maker

I also have what is now sold as the Fiberglass "River Hawk 13' original".12'6"x44".100 lbs.Very stable.Made to paddle and pole.They make different sizes in Winder Ga.

At one time I had 8 boats.Each for fishing different.A Pirogue for creek and swamp to a modified V to chase Mackerel offshore.

I did some boating,fishing and living on the water in my day.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. wrestler126

wrestler126 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a coleman "Scanoe". It is great for fishing or hunting. I have used it in AK on ocean bays (with care) and in NE. It is 15-1/2 ft. long and has a square stern. It is wider in the middle than an ordinary canoe, which adds to stability. It also has another seat in the middle for a third passenger. It is not, however, too wide or the back configuration too cumbersome that you cannot paddle it like a normal canoe. With its width and stability I have never worried about outriggers. I imagine you could add them if you wanted, but I have loaded this thing up with decoys, my son, our dog and the rest of the gear and haven't died yet.

We have a resort ranch and do canoeing and tubing trips. I have 6 other canoes (conventional pointed front and rear) and the scanoe is definitely the one I pick for duck hunting or fishing, but still also use it to float the river.

I have used up to a 6 hp. outboard on it which can really make it fly. I once put a 9.9 hp on it because the 6 wasn't available. It worked fine, but you didn't want to open it all the way up unless you were pretty adventourous.

It is made out of ABS (??) plastic and is pretty much indestructable.

I am not sure these are even still made, but I bet you could find one on e-bay if you kept looking.

17. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    some people like yaks some canoes....me canoes all the way........some yakers say canoes are not stable...hog wash......i have 4 canoes and only 1 is "tippy" and that is because i am 6'3 annd it is a 10' mowhawk pack..............was my first canoe.....now my son uses it some but i did "pack" it into a tough place to get to spot alst year and did not tip it..................my other 3 canoes are ot 119..my sole canoe i use most of the time and i can stand up in it...its only 11'9" and it is not tippy.....allso have a ot 158 that i can use by myself or with another......i also have a motor mount for this and put a trolling motor on it ocassionally...........my big one is a scanoe......have a 2.5 merc or a 7hp sears for it and it screams..............one canoe will not be a do all boat as 1 yak will not be a do all yak.........why i have 4 of them.......also, the 46 lb blue in my avatar was caught out of my 158 and i am standing in my canoe with a 46lb blue posing for the pic that a freinfd in a jon boat came up and took the pic...........i didnt tip it then and problay never will...do that in a yak....ps..my fith boat will be a sot unless i find another deal on a canoe.....mack

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I know where some plans are for a self bailing sit on top if you are adventurous :wink:

19. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Our local kayak fishing club has several members who stand in their yaks and fly-fish for seatrout and redfish. Sit on tops are by far the most popular. Mine is almost 14 feet long and 32 inches wide and it is very easy to fish from while standing up. Also has a fishfinder, GPS and marine radio. Some of our members also own canoes, so "to each his own" !!!

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    And that is very true. In fact, I would hardly push one craft over another in that both the canoe and kayak are affordable and effective in what they do best.

I love my SOT in that it is efficient and designed particularly for the solo fisherman. Its stability and maneuverability is a class act. However, I hate it whenever my daughter says, "me too!" A canoe or hybrid would definitely provide the flexibility of either going solo or carrying a passenger or two (hand them a paddle!).