Best fighting technique for carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Jun 9, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Before I go carp fishing I have always checked my drag to make sure it's very loose because one or two times my drag was tight and the carp snapped my line.I have just adjusted it according to the fishes strength.What is the best technique for bringin in a carp?

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I always play my carp using the back wind method with the anti reverse on.

Its easy to rely on a machine but like you say if the clutch aint set then you get flat rodded and something must give.

When the rod tip hoops over you wind backwards, when the rod tip rises you wind in.

I too have lost many fish relying on the clutch, it may take some getting used too but backwind is best for me and will increase your catch rate.

I am also a fan of not putting too much pressure on the rod, reading the carps movements can ensure you have good sport without ripping the hook out of the fish when it nears the net.

Happy carpin

3. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I like to use my bow for carp. I use 200lb. line so I set my drag as tight as I can get it :lol:

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I find the best technique for fight carp is jabs and combos. What you want to do is not let the carp get it's feet planted and stay away from the right hand!:big_smile:

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I know this. If you dont anchor your rod down, you may not have anything to fight with!:big_smile:

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Now that is funny right there Kevin. Pictureing that in my mind. ROTGLMAO

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    you want to keep it kinda tight so it wont just swim as though its not even hooked but loose enough for him to run....just try to wear it down and eventually it'll come to you. the hardest part is gettin them out of the water once they're shoreside lol there's no easy way to grab em lol

8. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    The feeding area at the Pymatuning Reservoir spillway is solid with carp as they fight for food.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    LINESVILLE -- The carp are feeding again at the Spillway, and it is an awesome, fearsome sight.

Giant swells rock the thick soup of carp as they jockey for position, their yellow lips opening and closing at the surface -- thousands of O's waiting for the chunks of soggy white bread, buns and bagels to rain down on them from the outstretched hands of delighted crowds
    The carp are arguably the biggest tourist attraction at the Crawford County park. Fascinated family members lean over the crumbling concrete overlook, heaving week-old spheres of crusty Italian in an effort to stump the carp and aiming their video cameras at the ensuing feeding frenzy.

On a cool and windy day last week, the Spillway was clogged with carp and tourists, just as it has been for more than half a century

"It's like the eighth wonder of the world," said John Valentic, of Perrysville, Ohio, as his teenage sons emptied trash bags full of stale bread into the water below. Mr. Valentic's aunt, 91-year old Carmelita, of Ashtabula, Ohio, leaned up out of her wheelchair and lobbed a loaf over the wall of the overlook, laughing with glee at the fin-slapping fracas she had created

"There's one piece of bread, and a million fish," he explained as he squished scraps of bread together into "breadballs."

"And one fish is going to get the bread. There's a million open mouths all pointing at you, expecting something."

The Spillway, on a causeway two miles south of Linesville, has been a tourist destination since the 1930s. Before the Spillway's construction was even complete, carp gathered in the area's shallow, rushing waters to feed, and the people followed.

At times, the carp have been so thick in the water that ducks are able to walk across the fishes' backs to grab their share of bread. Local businesses capitalized on this spectacle, and it was adopted as the community's promotional slogan -- "Where the Ducks Walk on the Fish."

As a rule, Pennsylvania state parks forbid the feeding of wildlife, said Mr. Houghton. The Spillway is the one exception.

"Why are we feeding fish? A lot of local people have jobs associated with it," he said. "It's something that we at state parks don't condone; we don't want people to artificially feed the wildlife -- that's where the fine line comes in. We're certainly not going to shut down something that important to the community."

On Thursday, the Spillway was littered with empty plastic bags and twist ties. The loud sucking sound of thousands of carp mouthing at the surface competed with the honks of geese

"You ought to see the bread they're going to get," said Mr. Segner as his 16-year old nephew, Brad Vitale, went out to the parking lot to retrieve more bread from his SUV, which was filled to the roof with it. "Hard, crusty Italian bread. It's too big, and it floats too much, like a beach ball. It'll take 'em at least two to three minutes of playing volleyball with it. It makes the kids have more fun, I think."

Mr. Segner, who works for a bread company and gets day-old bread for free, typically brings 300 to 400 loaves with him for each trip to Pymatuning. He has been coming here every year for 20 years.

Attached Files:

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When I'm using anything less then 12lb test for carp, I always set my drag light and let the carp run when it wants to and tire itself out. Once it feels like it can't run anymore, then I start to gain ground on them.

10. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    walter that is a CRAZY article....i've seen carp blitzes but never anything like that......if you jumped down there (which i might do just to try n grab one lol) you could prolly walk on them things.....does anybody fish it?

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    CatBusster,

Don't you really mean that, "You back wind/reel with the anti reverse off???" Since, if the anti reverse is on you cannot reel/wind backwards.

I used to back wind/reel a lot back in the 70's and I certainly had to have the anti-reverse off to do so. It was great for playing large fish and staying in control of how much line he was trying to take. But, nowadays, I find myself getting lazy and relying on the "so called" better drag systems on many of the reels.

12. Catatonic Chronic

Catatonic Chronic New Member

State:
    Johnson City, New York
    It depends on the speed of the water I'm fishing in. If Slow moving or lake water, I tend to set the drag at fifty-percent total drag. If fast moving water, I like to set the drag at about twenty-percent maximum drag. I use 12 pound line, and circle hooks when going after carp. To retrieve, I let the drag give him slack, and then just try to keep him from peeling my reel on those long runs. When he's given up, it's only a matter of tip forward, reel in slack, and pull back.