Best fighting fish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Hookman, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    what is the best fighting fresh water fish in the U S A.?. i heard it was the aligator garr...........HOOKMAN...????

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I would have to say large landlocked striped bass

3. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i agree with the stripper

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I havent caught one of decent size in grass carp or stripper, but everyone says grass carp will rip ur reel to pieces. from what i have caught i would say..... a REAL good fed catfish, esp a female close to spawn.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I say that Charlie tuna would have to be one of the hardest fighting fish. HeHeHeHe

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have caught carp that make my tackle groan. I have a microlight pole and the gill that hit nearly 2lbs really strain it. I think gills for being so little put up one heck of a fight. I would love to talk to the world record holder for gill. 5.75lbs must have really been fun.

7. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I'd say a nice flathead is the best fighting fish

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Striper number 1 freshwater for me. Overall I'd say redfish by far

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Hardest fighting fish I have ever caught are flatheads.

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

They're all muscle, and run fast after they're hooked. Can't stand eating them, but they're fun as hell when the cats aren't biting. Best thing about them, they love corn. ;) And we have plenty of that where I'm from.

SudDawg

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Asian carp fight pretty darn good too! :)

12. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    A nice sized musky ain't nothing to laugh at either.

13. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    so far carps and flatheads seam to be in the lead. then stripes. i hope to hear more...... thanks!!! HOOKMAN!!!!!!

14. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    bowfins can put up a heck of a fight

15. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I would have to agree with the land locked bass, especially in rivers. I personally think you get better fights, stronger fish, per pound while river fishing.

16. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    pound for pound i would say the bream(bluegill,shell crackers,redbreast,stump nockers,etc.etc.) put a better fight i think they have the most heart....

17. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I will have to go with bluegill...for their size they put up one heck of a fight. Some of the most fun I have had has been catching little panfish on a microlite tackle. I will also have to say that flatheads are one heck of a fight, along with carp. They are all worth the fight.

18. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I would say smallmouth or gills. If you were to fight a 30lb smallie or gill, you would have a serious fight on your hands.

19. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Gentlemen, I'd like to take this oppertunity to have you all come to Portland, Oregon. The second week of June, to add the very tuffest fish I've ever had the pleasure (pain) to catch. The old Sturgen. Keeper limit size is 4ft.- 6ft. The average 6 footer runs about 100lbs. You'll be hard pressed to catch one that small that time of year. I've landed several in the 9ft. range, but no 10's yet. We start early morning 5:30- 6:00 AM to get down on the Columbia River. We go to the Washington side and catch 2-3lb shad on jigs. We use the whole shad for bait. On hook-up we drop anchor, and the chase begins. Usually takes an hour, with a tight line all the time. You will be in pain.
    Sorry so long winded.
    Don

To the world you may be just a person but to a person you may be the world.

20. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i think every one here has a favorite.strippers fight pretty good.and i never had the opportunity to catch sturgenand you guys might luaugh me out of here but mine is brown trout. if you ever get the chance to fish for sea run " trout that have been to sea and return to fresh to spawn" brown trout ddont pass it up.also if you fly fish try sight fishing tanycomo near branson.4-12 # brown trout on a scud in 8 to 10 inches of water. if you go tell me how you did.