Best fight pound for pound? Blue Catfish - Flathead Catfish - Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, May 18, 2009.

Which of the 3 Catfish species pound for pound is the best fighting fish???

1. Blue

2. Flathead

3. Channel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Okay guys, I was sitting here and pondering an age old question!! Which of the 3 most common catfish species we have here in the U.S. Blue, Flathead, or Channel Cats, pound for pound is the best fighting fish?

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Flathead - Hands down!

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A 25lb channel will rule over a 25lb flat like Jerry the King Lawler!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    flathead gets my vote.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    my vote is for the channel cat.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The fights are different. Channels are radical fighters, but flatties are run away bull dozers.... flatties get my vote.

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Im going to say the bluecat. Every blue cat that I have ever caught either on the wabash or the ohio has hit the bait like a tidal wave and never let up. Some channels are that way but then a lot of them just peck and and take short runs wether they are big or small. I caught a big flat head (40#) last year on the ohio and it did not hit like a freight train. It hit and pecked at the bait like a channel does sometimes. I caught a few smaller flats that hit hard but nothing like the blues I have caught so far.

8. RiverFever

RiverFever New Member

State:
    ohio
  9. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey RiverFever, welcome to the BOC!!!!!

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh wow, I honestly thought most would say the channel cat. We have them all here and hands down, pound for pound...the channels win easy.

-Jim-

Oh, I also say they bit the hardest too.

11. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'd have to go with channel, in early-mid summer when they're nice and livened up...... right now they're still hitting and fighting like bluegill, but just wat a couple more weeks.

Flats are known for their slow/steady runs....really more of a tug-o-war contest than a fight

12. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd rather catch a blue any day because of the fight they have in them. It's much greater then any channel or flat I've ever caught.
    Blue cats just don't seem to wimp out like the others.

13. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Blues got my vote, they're still fightin long after being boated...

14. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey guys,
    As for me, I really have'nt caught any really big blues or flatties, but I have caught many nice channels that have had never say die attitudes, and am going to be targeting bigger blues and flats this year, hopefully with great success. I have caught some small blues and I would have to say that relative to size channels fight much harder!!!!!

15. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm gonna go with my favorite the FLATTY :smile2:

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love my flatties.. But Pound for Pound Im gonna have to go with a channel cat.. They can be ridiculus at times.. Blues I have not caught many and 38 pounds is the biggest but the day I caught it, it just seemed sluggish.. and flatheads well they are strong at the start but once spun around I think the fight leaves them.. A 4 pound channel will fight like hes 20 pounds

17. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    With out a doubt flatheads win. I love felling those big heads jerk back and forth at the end of my line.

18. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!!! It's always interesting to see what other people think about whats the best biggest, or Whats the best, whatever it might be about catfish! So again thanks!!

19. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'd have to say tough call. Recently got an 18# flat and "it was on" once he figured out something was pulling him someplace he didn't want to go. He had the drag screaming at times going for the bottom everytime I got him close to the boat.

I've caught a 22# channel and that was total choas for 45 minutes on an ultra-lite while chasing him with the boat. Can't say he ever stopped fighting from the word go. I worked on getting him up in the shallow water from the deep to where I could get a net on him.

The blues, some of the ones I've caught will curl that tail and come in like a log sometimes, then other times "It's On" from the word go like a fresh water freight train, with the "get the heck out of dodge" attitude.

To compare the 3 types, I'd have to say the channel "might" just be the pound for pound winner of the three, but again tough call. Might even be a toss-up between the flathead and the channel, too.

20. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I think a flatcat is the best fight in the water,but out of the water blue cats just don't give up :big_smile: