Best fall catfishing tips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Oct 26, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How big was the last catfish you caught? What conditions was it caught in? Was it caught in a creek, river, pond or lake? What bait, rig and time of day were you fishing? What was the date? Share your info so less experienced fishermen can browse this thread to get useful information for the fall season.

Thanks

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished the missouri river sunday oct.22 and got skunked. Used cut perch, live perch,and cut drum. Fished deep. Fished shallow. Fished everywhere in between. Upstream, and downstream of dikes. Outside bends in the river. Holes, and humps. Moral of the story? These fall cold fronts really shut things down.

3. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Should of took me with ya! I'd show ya how to do it!

4. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    went last weekend. biggest was 5 lbs and 2 others that where 2lbs. All caught on cut bluegill. they where in a pondg. 10 acres bout. it was chilly 45* and windey. Was using circle hooks rigged carolinia style.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The last time I went out on the Ohio River I caught a blue about 15 pounds. Caught him on a BIG shad head. On an Ugly Stik and Okuma Coronado C90 spinning reel. Spooled with 30 pound Big Game. Carolina Rig with an 8/0 Gama Octopus Circle. Caught in about 35 feet of water.

6. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    caught 5 channels a couple days ago,the biggest was 5 pounds the smallest was 2,using cut shad,temp was 45 degrees and windy.

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Last catfish was about 2 lbs. Weather was partly cloudy with gentle winds. Temperature was approximately 65 deg. F. I was fishing from the bank of a lake using a Carolina (slip sinker) rig with 1/2 oz. weight. I was using a #2 "J" hook with a 2', 8# leader. Bait was cut mackerel, date was 8 October 2006, and time was approximately 0930.

-- Rich

8. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    I caught a catty last night about 8lbs fishing south bay at lake champlain up north. I have noticed with the change of weather we have acctually been catching more cattys there. I was using fresh chicken liver on a 3 ot wide gap worm hook. sometimes I open the gap a little more to expose the point better. I use 15lb test line with a 50lb test 3 ft long leader connected with a barrel swivel. i tie the sinker to the bottom of the leader I tie the hook about 1 to 1-half ft above the sinker and then attach a small bobber above the hook about a foot or so that way the bait is suspended off the bottom so its easier for the big catfish to get it. Seems to work pretty well and I find I get less snags. good luck catfishing.Im going out again tonight after work.

Mrhookset