Best Eatin Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by softball434, Nov 27, 2009.

1. softball434

softball434 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What is your favorite catfish for eating? Mine has been all cats. :big_smile:

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    first off welcome to the BOC...THeres alot of great people on here!!!and Second..sadly the best tastingi think is flathead..but i eat way more channels because i releas almost all flatheads...but i have never caught a blue so i dont know about that!!

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think there is a bad tasting catfish. I eat alot of channels, and a few blues and flats. To me, the cleanest and purest meat is from a Blue Cat. However, a Flathead has the best flavor.

You just have to know how to pick em'. I think of them like Okra, too little and there's not much there, too big and they're not as good.

Let the teeny ones grow, eat the little to mid sized ones, and leave the monsters there to give someone else the chance at a good catch.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    flatheads are the best by far,any size.
    channels are second,but only around a pound,much bigger an their to fishy.
    blues of all of them i've ate taste bad.never ate a good tasting blue,but i've only tried them 4 or 5 times.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Warm water==Flathead about 8-10 lbs
    Cold water===Blue about 10-12 lbs

Channel cats year round==2-5 lbs

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For here on the Mo river Flatts then Blues. I dont eat channels out of the mo river cause the have a oily dirty taste and alot of yellow and grey meat.

7. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive eatin a 10 pound foul hooked flathead, ive eatin a lot of 4-5 pound channels(only size i keep for eatin) and a lot of 4-5 pound blues, the best tasting by far was the flathead....but being the most uncommon caught for me and being so much fun to catch id have to say i dont eat them unless they are severely foul hooked as they are just to much fun to catch to enjoy eating them...so flatheads are best for me....just dont eat them often

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  8. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Pussy cats, Toms are too tough! Really, I like flathead or blue. Will hardly eat a channel.

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    its does not matter to me either, three of them catfish are great to eat!

10. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've rarely caught flatheads, but it would definitely be a toss up between flatheads and blues. Bullheads are good too. Channels are way down on the list. Recently my dad caught a channel in a place where we used to catch a lot of channels, but lately we've been catching mostly blues. We had a couple of blues as well, and filleted them all together. You could tell when you were eating a piece from that channel, it was almost nasty compared to the blues.

11. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I like all catfish. I mainly fish for blues though they seem to be easier to catch to me.