Best e-glass 100lb rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by jackthomilson, Jul 31, 2020.

1. jackthomilson

jackthomilson Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Steve
    Hi, just wondered all of or my best option(s) for a 100lb rated e-glass about 8 foot rod? I searched google.com but I know not all the rod companies came up on the search. I do not want a blended material rod or s-glass or graphite I hope you guys can help. Thanks!

Flat Top and Brackish*Water like this.
  2. hurt locker

hurt locker Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    My pick would be Okuma 8ft Battlecat.Watched my Buddy catch a 72 lb on my Battlecat and a Fathom 15LW. Combo made it look easy. Very durable and tough rod with all stainless eyes. Just gives me confidence when hooked up.

3. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    I agree the Battle Cat is an excellent rod but it is only rated for 60lb. Since it was brought up, do any of you know why they offer it in 2 lengths so close together with the same specs(7.5ft and 8ft, 1-8oz)? Why not 9 or 10ft instead of 8ft? They are both 2 piece rods.

Flat Top and Flathead Tyrant like this.
  4. Flathead Tyrant

Flathead Tyrant Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    I wish I could answer your question.

I prefer the 8ft version. I actually have a modified version that I had built to use for sharks and grouper in Florida.

I have another modified version with just an extended butt for greater casting power.

SteveMcK and Flat Top like this.
  5. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Mudhole carries the CRB line of E glass blanks...the SPSWB8XXXH blank is 8ft and top rated at 80 lb/12 oz. If you considered building your own or having one built that would be a low cost alternative.

Calstar makes their Grafighter live bait rods that meet or exceed your requirements......check out their website and give them a call.....but, are made from a graphite/glass blank, but have an E Glass tip.

Also, Big Cat Fever is supposed to come out with an XH rod this fall. There is a video on You Tube of a lady catching a 300+ lb shark on a BCF H rod (I have two and so far they have been excellent), so I expect the XH rod to be a cut above that...but at this time I have no info on what the rod will be rated for....and they will be S Glass blanks I am sure.

Its kind of tough finding E Glass blanks or rods anymore. Very few manufacturers use it. I believe that S Glass should be considered if you strike out on an E Glass blank, or a composite blank that meets your needs.

By the way Steve...is this rod to be used for catfish?

tut likes this.
  6. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
  7. jackthomilson

jackthomilson Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Steve

Flat Top likes this.
  8. jackthomilson

jackthomilson Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Steve
    I’ll be fishing for flatheads in heavy cover if I can find a 100lb e glass 8’0” or close to 8 rod. I do not trust s glass in this situation. I would settle for graphite but would rather have e glass.

9. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    There are lots of opinions but I think the graphite rods are more prone to breaking than the e-Glass. It is my understanding that s-glass is only better in rods because they tweaked the formula for what rids need. Nothing new added

Graphite does give more feel at the expense of flexibility in specific areas.

Most any of the rods serious cat fisherman use will handle a 100# flathead (IF).the requirements are met.

Strong line
    Drag set right
    flex in rod
    maybe some mono line for shock absorption.

Any of these can be missing if the other three are working correctly although rod flex is very important and the glass rods both have that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Flat Top likes this.
  10. jackthomilson

jackthomilson Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Steve
    I think I’ll go with the Big Cat Fever 60lb rod seems pretty stout. Saw there video of the rod lifting a grown man but didn’t watch it I’ll take there word for it though. I have seen Rippin Lips rids in action before thought they’d break easy I think those are s glass too. I’m sure I’ll be happy with the Big Cat Fever rod plenty of strength I’m sure. Thanks guys!

tut and Flat Top like this.
  11. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Steve; I would not dismiss S Glass for heavy pulling requirements. Go to You Tube and watch all the BCF videos where they use and abuse their S Glass rods....pretty impressive. I personally dont like any composite rods (but I use them for light work)or graphite rods, but, they do have their place. I wanted something with "grunt" for fishing the big rivers and the BCF H rods fit the bill for me. Like Tom said there are some good catfish rods that will get the job done for you and folks use them and set state records with them so they should not be dismissed. I am going to set up a rod for doing just what you are talking about and I think the new BCF XH rod will be a real stump puller....although the BCF H rod would likely do the job very well. Heck, the BCF MH rods have caught 100+ lb record breakers with no sweat, as have some other brand "catfish" rods.

jackthomilson likes this.
  12. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Steve; Which BCF rod are you going to shoot for...the H or the new XH?

13. Cuda

Cuda Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have 2 rods that are E Glass they are rated for 80ld line and only rated for 5oz lure. They are really stiff rods then I bought 3 of the Bass Pro graphite series musky rods. They are 7' fast action lure 4-10oz line 30-80ld power is extra heavy. The BP rods have a lot more flex than the E Glass rods.

jackthomilson and Flat Top like this.
  14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom

Steve some of the videos of rods breaking and then of rods picking up heavy weights all depend on the angle the rod is held. You might say the angle of the dangle.

No rod is designed to bend more that 90*. Once a rod is forced (by the what it us held) to bend past 90* the odds of it breaking go way up.

There is a video of a rod attached to a forklift lifting a heavy. Note the angle. Not more than 90*.

So, look closely at any video you see to check for what is called high sticking. Bending over 90*

Good luck with your selection.

BCT, jackthomilson and Flat Top like this.
  15. jackthomilson

jackthomilson Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Steve
    Just the h for now to try out

Flat Top likes this.
  16. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Let me know what you think after you land that BIG one.

17. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    S-glass is more designed for fishing. E-glass is a material that fishing rods just happen to be made of. The new video of the BCF rod lifting the worker off the ground is a MEDIUM action.

Flat Top likes this.
  18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I do get the S and E glass confused if I don't refresh my memory. What I have left of it.

Flat Top and SteveMcK like this.
  19. Flathead Tyrant

Flathead Tyrant Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    Pretty much any heavy glass or composite rod will function well in that situation, but not all heavy glass and composite rods are enjoyable to use.

I would trust my XH 8ft St. Croix Mojo Cats over anything else in that circumstance where you are not letting a fish budge one inch.

Glass works well, but I enjoy catching catfish so much more using a composite.

The heavy 8ft Okuma Battle Cat will do the job just as well as anything.

Flat Top and jackthomilson like this.
  20. Stinkbait3000

Stinkbait3000 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I’ve really put the meat to 100+ pound sturgeon with both the Battle Cat 8’ Heavy and BCF MH rods with 80 pound braid and neither rod felt like it was working close to its limit. These are 25-30 minute fights with tons of hard pulling. Ugly Stik Tiger rods might be another to look at. They have relatively low lure weight ratings, but I would have no concern muscling a fish with 100 pound braid and the drag locked.

Flat Top and SteveMcK like this.