Best drifting/dragging weights?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by sjble66, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sjble66

sjble66 Active Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Name:
    Steve
    Looking for recos for weights (4-6 oz) for drifting and/or dragging baits that reduce snagging. I limit my drift patterns to predominantly flatter bottoms due to snag factor, and i would like to know what are your preferred weight types, or methods to reduce snags, as snags with 40# test is frustrating. Thanks!

Brackish*Water likes this.
  2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I make my own drifting and dragging weights drag.jpg

paracord and lead shot...and some shrink wrap tubes

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Here is an interesting video some may like.

This YouTube-er has several interesting videos.

Tight lines

R. D. Hilton, eastforker, JEB and 2 others like this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I copied and use a dragging weight I got from U-tube when Steve Douglas was interviewing Larry Muse. It is simply a piece of tubing with 4oz of #6 (any size should work) bird shot in it and a wire nut glued into each end, with an eye screw, screwed into one of the wire nuts. I fish the Ohio and have dragged these through some pretty nasty stuff and if I get hung it's the hook 95% of the time so with break offs I most times get the dragging weight back loosing only the hook.

Big Sam likes this.
  5. sjble66

sjble66 Active Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Name:
    Steve

Thanks Tom and JBuck, helpful.

6. JEB

JEB Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    JEB
    I made and tried the Larry Muse style weights before but didn't have much luck with those. So I made some more using Lead Shot and hollow shoe strings. I did find the shoe strings tore easily due to the thin fabric so I just wrapped them with a layer of duct tape. These have worked real well for me so far. I'm having difficulty uploading videos here but if you search "making drifting weights" on youtube you will get lots of information. Good Luck!

Big Sam likes this.
  7. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    There are some good youtube videos that can provide info for making dragging sinkers. I make and use two types. I make the Muse style for areas with a lot of snags and then I make the rope type with homemade pencil leads. I use the rope type in lakes and areas with less snags, often for change cats.

The roll of lead solder would work well for the rope type dragging sinker. When I make mine I think it is important to cur the lead so the ends are flat. If you use wire cutters, the wedge shaped edge may cause the adjoining edges to slide beside each other. Flat ends help prevent this. Also, the shorter the lead sections, the more flexible the rope is which I think is an advantage for preventing it from getting stuck. Go by the amount of weight you want which is generally 4 or 5 ounces.

Here are some of the rope sinkers I have made. The two on the left are the ones I use the most.
    IMG_0648.jpg

just a thought

Jesus Saves, Brackish*Water and JEB like this.
  8. sjble66

sjble66 Active Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Tom, do you attach these to main line/swivel, or do you tie these to a 2nd line of less test line so if you do snag, only lose the weight while keeping hook?

9. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I have tried the rope type dragging weights in two ways. At first I just ran the main line thru the end eyelet of the sinker swivel so it would act like a sliding sinker. Then I would tie a swivel on the end of the main line where my 18 to 24 inch mono leader would be connected. I also add a 3 inch cigar float a foot above the hook to get the hook/bait up off the bottom.

Later, after the better half increased my allowance to $5.00 a week, I started using sinker slides for the sinker swivel to connect to.

10. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Tom, it's OK to be financially successful but one really shouldn't brag about it. (wink)

11. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I have struggled with how to attach an eyelet or whatever to the finished product.

:cry:

Big Sam likes this.
  12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    dragger.jpg

another style i make and use....Wesley on this one i put hot glue in the top of the tube and shoved 1/2 of the swivel in....shrink wrap top and bottom tube filled with BB's for a BB gun....It drags really smooth..and clips right on my sinker slide.....